Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-12-07-Impact-No Surrender] Sami Callihan vs Rich Swann

Superstar Sleeze

Impact World Heavyweight Champion Sami Callihan vs Rich Swann - Impact No Surrender 2019

OVE stands for Ohio Versus Everyone. As if I didnt need another reason to hate Sami Callihan, it only stands to reason he is from the Worst State Ever, Ohio! I am a Michigan Alum, Lets Go Blue! O-H F-U! I dont actually hate Callihan. The white trash paramilitary gimmick as long as it used as a heel gimmick I can get behind it because it is a great heat seeking gimmick. I hate spit and it is fucking gross. He is a heel. I think what I like about him the most is that he is a selfless heel. He will stooge, cower and show ass for the babyface. I think there is a lot of 21st Century tropes in his matches and an overreliance on death match extremism but overall I would say I like him. 

The best Callihan match I have seen thus far was against Swann at Rebellion which was a Street Fight where Swann proved he could be just as violent as Callihan. This is taking place in Callihan's hometown of Dayton, OH. So Swann is in hostile territory. What I loved about this match is how old school it felt in terms of babyface vs heel dynamics. The crowd was super invested. Even though it was split, it was not split in the smarky way it is now. It is because some of the fans were blindly cheering for the hometown boy and others realized Callihan is a prick were not going to root for him. It had a big fight feel. Furthermore, it was wrestled at a normal pro wrestling pace with less reliance on perpetual motion and too choreography. I felt like I was watching an 80s Championship House Show match and I dug that vibe. Callihan was great shining Swann up. Powdering three times after Swann would get the best of him. Swann did three consecutive dives off the apron after the third powder. Callihan always lets the babyface chop him without the vest and he always sells it so well. He is a total chump about it afterwards. Swann had some really damn good punches and elbows in this. The best was when Callihan spit and Swann SLAPPED THE FUCKING TASTE OUT OF HIS MOUTH! It was two absolute CRACKS of a slap! Beautiful! As a person who loves to root against Callihan, I popped for that. I thought Swann oversold the back body drop, but I liked how Callihan pounced with the wrist tape to choke Swann. Good old school heel cheating. Callihan worked a really nice, methodical heat segment on top. Scott D'Amore was really good on commentary mixing wrestling analysis with the storyline. I was impressed. Callihan unleashes the grossest fucking lugi ever on Swann's face. It was stomach-churning. Swann wiped it off and licked it. That was tough to write. Swann mounts a comeback. I liked the finish, very good escalation. Swann had to earn that Phoenix Splash, built to it with a Top Rope Elbow before getting that big nearfall. While for Callihan with the Cactus-style piledriver he was seeking. He hit a piledriver on the apron and then the Cactus Piledriver in the ring for two. It was only after absorbing the Phoenix Splash that he sent the ref into the ropes to crotch Swann on his second attempt. Callihan hit a piledriver off the second rope for the win. Great finish. The Piledriver is one of my favorite moves and it was great to see on display meaningfully. Yes a kickout afte two was a bit much but it ultimately won the match so we call it even and it did put Swann over as a major player. These two just have great chemistry with each other. I love the versatility. This match is totally different than their April Street Fight. I would say it is Pick Em between those two, both are great and recommended! **** 

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2019-12-07-Impact-No Surrender] Sami Callihan vs Rich Swann