Pro Wrestling Only

[2019-04-28-Impact-Rebellion] Johnny Impact vs Brian Cage

Superstar Sleeze

Impact World Heavyweight Champion Johnny Impact vs Brian Cage - Impact Rebellion 2019 SGR: Lance Storm

This match up got 8 bajillion times better by having Impact turn heel. After one of the worst matches I have seen in a long time at Homecoming, Morrison turned heel and it made this so much more entertaining. In the video package, we see Morrison's wife, Taya, ballshot Cage, Morrison throw his lot in with former Aries' cronies, Killer Kross & Moose and the coup d'grace referee John E. Bravo joined Morrison after chop blocking Cage during a title defense. 

I love big circus matches and I think they could have leaned into it a little more, but still with Taya & Bravo at ringside there was enough shenanigans to keep me entertain. I know immediately I would like this match way more because they started with a big 'ol shine for Cage with Morrison playing his ragdoll. I love good power wrestling and Morrison was bumping & feeding great. I wish Cage showed a little more charisma and had a little more fun in there. Some recent Samoa Joe shines I have seen is what I am picturing. Cage looked like a man who was so focused on hitting his spots and getting to the next spot, he forgot the most important part which is to have fun! 

Morrison took over when Cage went to the well once too often for the outside-inside suplex with a nice German suplex. What I loved is that Cage ultimately shrugged it off and just kept coming. Lance Storm, who is the troubleshooting after the recent issues with Bravo, pulls a merciless Cage off Morrison and this allows Morrison to eye poke. Nice. Again, Cage would not be denied. I love it. A babyface should be like the Russians at Stalingrad, always forward, never back! Great job, Cage! The big turning point spot is a Spanish Fly off the ramp to the floor, which was a badass highspot. I wish it was set up better. I think the time was ripe for Bravo/Taya interference or more intense cheating from Morrison. Cage sort of gave up which kinda kills my Russians at Stalingrad analogy. Morrison squashes his head between the railing and knee. This busts Cage wide open. The blood was great as was Morrison relentlessly attacking the wound. Cage gets a hope spot but Morrison keeps rocking the head. Taya/Bravo get greedy and set up a table. I will give you one guess what happens...Cage powerbombs Morrison through the table. Here comes the finish. Taya drags out Lance and Morrison wipes him out. Then Morrison cracks Cage with the title belt. In the ultimate scumbag move, Morrison leaves his wife with the smoking gun of the title belt. She eats a powerbomb. Normally I would bitch about man on woman violence but Impact has a tradition of intergender matches thus is their universe even if I dont agree with it. Morrison is able to take advantage of the distraction and hit a terrible Starship Pain. Aries is right that move sucks. I love Morrison as a wrestler but get a new finish, bro. John E. Bravo has a ref shirt but Cage still kicks out at 2. Lance Storm superkicks Bravo and Cage hits a terrible Drillclaw to win the championship. A debuting Michael Elgin punks out the new champion with a spinning backfist and a simple powerbomb. Anti-climatic. I will watch their Slammiversary match soon. 

I loved the layout, but it didnt quite have the zip I wanted. This is a perfect example of the fact that a great layout is not enough, you need great execution too, I thought the execution didnt quite have the energy/charisma that I wanted. Still a big step up from January. ***1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2019-04-28-Impact-Rebellion] Johnny Impact vs Brian Cage