Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-04-23-ROH-Reborn: Stage One] Bryan Danielson vs CM Punk

ShittyLittleBoots

This is actually their first ever 1-on-1 meeting, which makes it quite noteworthy on paper. It's a really good match! At 26 minutes, it definitely goes on for a bit too long & there's periods where it isn't as compelling as you'd like, but for the absolute majority of it, the wrestling is lovely. Danielson seeing a target in Punk's mid-section, going to work over it & then getting the win with the abdominal stretch was awesome. Also have to say that knowing what happens years later, the dueling "YES! NO!" chant when they're battling on the top rope towards the end always pops me. ***1/2

• 2 years later...

This was okay. Punk was a decent hand, but I can tell why people who worked the indies in this era don't have a ton of respect for his ability. He's not exactly the most gifted pro-wrestler. I don't really care for his heel work. I think he got much better at that type of stuff working in the big leagues. He comes across as whiny in ROH, to me anyway. Danielson tries too hard at times to be the best wrestler in the world, but I guess that's not a bad ambition to have. He's very good. I just wish his technical wizardry wasn't so forced. Mind you, technical master isn't an easy gimmick to pull off in wrestling