Pro Wrestling Only

[1979-05-27-St. Louis Wrestling Club-Wrestling At The Chase] Harley Race vs David Von Erich

Superstar Sleeze

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Harley Race vs David Von Erich - St. Louis Wrestling At The Chase 5/27/79

As my good buddy, Pete/Shoe would say this is a great piece of business. Officially this is a gauntlet match pitting Harley vs David & Fritz Von Erich. David is going first. David had just taken Harley to the limit down in Dallas and now it looks like they are building him up in St. Louis to draw a house at the Kiel. If Harley loses, match is over, if not he faces Fritz. If you were smart to the business at this time, conventional wisdom says Harley wins the first fall and the drama is in the second. When they go with David in the first fall, I was confused. I appreciated the swerve with David going OVER big in the first fall, we are talking "Iron Claw, Bladejob, Pass out from Blood Loss" big! I dont think you could go over bigger! Huge booking! 

On top of that we get nearly 15 minutes of uncut action that is just fantastic TV wrestling and I am far from a Harley guy or even a David guy preferring both of his brothers to him. David starts the match off Steamboat/White Meat Babyface style with a nearfall barrage and an abdominal stretch. Harley goes to the eyes and woman in the front row literally gets out of her seat and approaches ringside to admonish him. What a time to have been alive!

Normally, I dont like how robotic Harley is and how he ragdolls for his opponents, but I liked how three times he did not give a clean break. Twice, it was the headbutt and once a shouldertackle. The first two times David came back and showed his ability to persevere, which I appreciate. David was working the headlock and using youth/quickness to his advantage. Nice back drop out of the piledriver on the floor. The third time was a charm for Harley with the headbutt on the ropes. Harley took charge and looked poised to win. In a very 2010s wrestling finish, David Von Erich caught a diving Harley Race with the Iron Claw as Race was attempting a top rope headbutt. I marked out. Harley blades in the Claw! I love when they do that! He sells it well and does a complete pass out. During the promo with all three Von Erichs (Fritz, David & Kevin), Harley is barley conscious and being helped to the back! Talk about putting someone over huge! Kickass TV wrestling with a badass finish! ****     

• GSR changed the title to [1979-05-27-St. Louis Wrestling Club-Wrestling At The Chase] Harley Race vs David Von Erich