Pro Wrestling Only

[2005-09-17-ROH-Glory By Honor IV] AJ Styles vs Jimmy Rave

DMJ

I've never seen this full show and based on the reviews of Danielson/Gibson, this isn't even the match of the night, but boy did I like it. From my blog review of the ROH Greatest Rivalries DVD...

Jimmy Rave vs. AJ Styles with Mick Foley as the Ringside Enforcer (given this role to neutralize Prince Nana on the outside) is next from September 2005. Rave goes right after his ex-mentor, but AJ comes right back with some fiery offense. There's no referee for this match because it is being fought under the stipulation that a winner can only be declared if they hit their finish - the Styles Clash or Jimmy Rave's version of it (the Rave Clash). Styles goes for the Clash early but Rave crawls out to the outside. I like Styles' intensity - this is the type of no-nonsense tone that fans wanted to see him bring to his feud with Samoa Joe years ago. The commentators note that this was Foley's final night in Ring of Honor, but don't mention that he was probably already gearing up for a return to the WWE in 2006 where he'd add a pair of great matches to his resume against Edge and then, teaming with Edge, against Terry Funk and Tommy Dreamer. A mysterious run-in causes a shift in the match and Rave takes over, eliciting a loud "Die Jimmy Die" chant. Rave hits a nice reverse suplex to maintain control but gets momentarily distracted by an un-PG comment from Foley on the house mic. To the outside they go where Rave sends Styles into the barricade repeatedly. They fight up to the entrance and Rave attempts a Rave Clash but Styles counters with a back drop. Back in the ring, Rave crotches Styles on the top rope and looks to be fully in control. Rave looks to try the Clash again, but AJ counters with an eziguiri. Both guys attempt German Suplex and we get a nice sequence that ends with a headscissors takedown and then into yet another stunning sequence of counters and suplexes ending in Rave's Gonorrhea move. Rave grabs a table (which is legal in this match) and slides it into the table with help from Nana. I really like Styles' attention to detail here. Obviously they're building to a table spot, but Styles doesn't just let it happen, trying to prevent Rave from positioning the thing at every turn. Styles and Rave again trade suplex attempts, neither guy giving up anything easy. This match feels and looks tiring, like a genuine fight, each sequence transitioning seamlessly into the next and feeling organic. They end up on the top rope, teasing something big and both men end up crashing through nearby table in a heap. Simple but effective stuff. This is the opposite of "my move/your move" bullshit. Styles goes for a piledriver back in the ring, but Rave escapes and hits a nasty knee strike to the face. He sets up a chair and attempts a brainbuster on it, but AJ counters it and drops him chest-first onto it the chair instead. That's gotta hurt. Styles sets up the table but out comes a gaggle of masked wrestlers! Foley neutralizes them but gets hit from behind by Prince Nana. Rave lands a vicious lariat  and is the last man standing. Rave sets AJ up in the corner for a superplex through the table but AJ won't budge and instead turns it into a Styles Clash through the table! Holy Shit! This one is over. And to add a cherry on top, Mick Foley hits the DDT on the steel chair to Prince Nana! Mick Foley goes on to cut a promo praising the company. That was a fantastic match. Top, top shelf. (4.5/5)

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2005-09-17-ROH-Glory By Honor IV] AJ Styles vs Jimmy Rave