Pro Wrestling Only

[1987-09-20-AJPW] Stan Hansen vs Genichiro Tenryu

Superstar Sleeze

PWF World Heavyweight Champion Stan Hansen vs NWA United National Heavyweight Champion Genichiro Tenryu - AJPW 9/20/87

I watched this last weekend, but was too tired to write a review. I really liked it at the time and wanted to do it justice. I rewatched it just now and thought this was tremendous especially with regard to Hansen. 

Hansen throws a classic Hansen fit at the outset of the match hurling chairs into the audience and all around ringside. He is a madman! This is full Bull in the China Shop Hansen in all his glory. They tear shit up. They blast each other to start with Tenryu getting the upper hand. The match spills to the outside and Hansen just wrecks shit. He sends Tenryu flying into the seats as fans flee the scene and he just beats the shit out of Tenryu as the fans look in horror. This is awesome shit. Back in, Tenryu uses a well-timed Enziguiri to try regain some semblance of control, but Hansen stiffs with wicked knees to the back of the head that send him to outside the ring where Hansen throws him into more hard metal. Hansen piledrives him and the rout looks to be on, only for Hansen to go charging into the turnbuckles and eat it. Tenryu works the arm. Hansen is awesome working underneath. He is so chippy. He is constantly fighting back, throwing short punches, grinding his knuckles into Tenryu, throwing elbows anything to get out of the holds or when out of the hold he just goes for it. These exchanges are wicked heated. Tenryu knows his only hope is to stay on the arm and he just keeps taking Hansen down into armbars & wristlocks. Hansen regains the advantage where he DROPS A TABLE ON TENRYU! I LOVE STAN HANSEN! Hansen ends up missing an elbow drop on the bad elbow and Tenryu goes back to work on the arm. Hansen ends up giving Tenryu a taste of his own medicine sending Tenryu shoulder first hard into the post. Tenryu tries to protect the now injured arm, but to no avail as Hansen has zeroed in on his target. 

Hansen gives a great arm torturing performance almost on the level of Dick Murdoch. He wrenches across the railing and announce table. He is great grinding on it, attacking with with strikes & headbutts, ramming it into things and tight holds. Hansen is tremendous in this. Tenryu kicks off to bump Joe Higuchi. Hansen goes full double windmill attacking Tenryu's injured arm. A desperation Enziguiri gives Tenryu the reprieve he so desperately needed as Hansen goes over the top which is the reason I think the ref was bump. Tenryu is great in his closing stretch offense, tons or urgency and a real sense of pressing. He hits a LONG DISTANCE Top Rope Reverse Elbow Drop. He lunges at Hansen as they both go tumbling to the outside. Everyone and their mother knows what this means. If you are going to do the double countout finish, do it this way! They tumble over the railing and spill into the front row and just brawl like mad. The  ref calls for the bell, but Hansen dives across the aisle and WIPES Tenryu OUT! Pretty great post-match brawl! 

I loved, loved how physical Hansen was in this. Whether it was the shit on the outside, dropping tables on Tenryu and sending fans scurrying as he pummeled Tenryu in the seats, working from underneath doing everything he could to break free or working the arm, Hansen hit a home run in this. Tenryu gave his typical understated 80s performance. He matched the stiffness and focus when it was necessary, but this was the Hansen show through and through. It looks their matches in 1988 get even better, I already loved this so looking to see what 1988 has in store for us! ****1/2