Pro Wrestling Only

[2021-03-17-AEW-Dynamite] Britt Baker vs Thunder Rosa (Lights Out)

ShittyLittleBoots

Blood usually always boosts matches like this, and such was the case here as both women rocked the crimson mask & created some pretty memorable scenes with it. And by all means it was indeed a damn awesome, big-bomb-driven grudge match; really nice use of all the weapons, a couple of great bigger spots, and most of the standard offense, such as Britt's forearm strikes before that superplex, looked real good as well. A hit in every way, pretty much. ***3/4

Almost certainly the best women's match in AEW's short history, unless I've forgotten something. Started off well enough but really moved up another gear when they both started bleeding and there were some great visuals of both. Nice use of the tacks. Loved how Thunder Rosa just broke down as the pinfall was counted, which was appropriate for what felt like new ground for US women's wrestling in the modern era. What a war.

• 3 weeks later...

Remarkable match that was VERY well booked. It was a bit "Finisher Beamspam" like a lot of matches have been lately (a powerbomb ON THE TACKS and you can't get a pin?), but some of it had explanations- the Super DVD into a ladder should be an MDK, but there was a delay in the pin and it was more of a "toss them off the top onto the ladder", which is a pretty routine spot in matches like this. The powerbomb had Britt flailing in agony, making her harder to keep down. And hey- at least it led to the finish.

I'm going ****1/4-1/2 or so, and am really impressed with both women. Britt has a lower floor than many wrestlers who have matches this good, making me suspect she does a LOT of pre-planning for her big bouts, but it makes me very curious what she can do with others. Rosa is awesome and hopefully can get out of her NWA contract soon and be full-time in AEW.