Pro Wrestling Only

[1983-3-12 MACW-TV] Greg Valentine vs Rowdy Roddy Piper

Superstar Sleeze

NWA US Champion Greg "The Hammer" Valentine vs "Rowdy" Roddy Piper - MACW TV 3/12/83

Of course the one time you want Ric Flair to have a competitive match, he goes ahead and obliterates his opponent. Flair vs Masa Fuchi on this episode of Mid-Atlantic TV had me salivating. Why you gotta do me dirty like that? This was good in-ring episode of Mid-Atlantic. Greg Valentine and Dory Funk Jr had really good squashes on this show. After Valentine got finished with his squash, he came out to confront Piper who says "It is easy to be the greatest US Champion when you never defend it". Valentine gets hot and challenges him to a match on this episode of TV in the main event. 

Back in November of 1982, Valentine & Flair rubbed Piper's face in the cement, but that was not mentioned. It is also unclear if Valentine is still managed by Humperdink. On this show, Humperdink was managing Slater & One Man Gang and was more focused on promoting OMG vs the incoming Andre.

This was a really good, hot TV angle match. It is so rough 'n' tumble and in the melee, Piper backdrops Valentine over the top rope. The referee calls for the bell. Gary Hart who is promoting Great Kabuki says the match is over and is insufferable as the match restarts saying this is not fair, but Valentine wanted it. I love how these two are just two rams locked up. It is flesh on flesh, man on man, close-quartered grappling. Nice crazy Thesz Press from Piper. The ref plies Piper off in the ropes and a nice wicked kneelift by Valentine. Loved it. Awesome Atomic Drop! Wicked. Great gutbuster from The Hammer. I love Valentine! I missed him so much. Figure-4...but Piper is blocking...Valentine applies but Piper turns over. He tries again but Piper pushes him off. PIPER KNEELIFT! Bob Caudle says we are going off the air, but Dicky Slater comes out and triggers the DQ. 

A really fun TV main event that makes you want to tune in next week or go to the matches in your area. ***1/4

'