Pro Wrestling Only

[1968-01-03-JWA] Giant Baba vs Crusher Lisowski

Superstar Sleeze

NWA International Champion Giant Baba vs Da Crusher - JWA 1/3/68 Single Fall, No Holds Barred?

The rematch from the excellent, dirty brawl from December. I was surprised this match was single fall and I am almost positive it is some sort of No Holds Barred, Death Match. I know the refs in Japan are extremely lenient but the one surefire trigger for DQ is when a wrestler attacks the ref and we see that here and Crusher is still not disqualified so I am like 99% positive it is no disqualification. 

I thought this match was even better than their previous effort and on par with the Dick The Bruiser match which happens about a month after this. This match is just as dirty and bloody as the previous match but I thought they built to a bigger crescendo in this one. 

I really liked the opening where Crusher is back into the ropes, does not give a clean break, lands a shot on Baba and Baba FIRES RIGHT BACK! Crusher complains to the ref he didnt get a clean break. Excellent heeling. Crusher goes for the eyes on the lock-up and Baba attacks the eyes on the next one! Crusher complains again! Awesome! Crusher goozles Baba and then steps on the throat so Baba retaliates with Chops to the ear. He literally yanks Crusher by the ear and then chops him in the ear repeatedly. Crusher sells this well. The action spills to outside, but we get a clip to a bearhug then Baba uses a knee to break. They spend most of the rest of the match brawling on the outside which is fine by me. Crusher tries to trap Baba's head in the apron skirt. Baba breaks free, does the same thing to Crusher and just punches him in the head. This match is the best payback match ever. Crusher gets the upper hand on the outside only for Baba to throw a seat cushion at him! Bitchin'! Crusher is pissed. He grabs some sort of rope/cord and chokes Baba with it! The ref is right there which is why I think this is No DQ. Baba then does the bulldog headlock into the ring post to bust Crusher open! Crusher goes into the tights and bloodies Baba with knuckledusters. Baba is bleeding profusely and so good at selling He keeps them on and just wallops Baba. The ref refuses to count and Crusher goes all '97 Macho Man on him, cold cocking him and ripping his shirt. I am a mark for ref abuse so I love this. Crusher KOs Baba but there's no ref! Baba tabletops Crusher who takes a huge bump to the floor. Bodyslam on the floor by bloody Baba, Atomic Stomp from the apron! BIG DROPKICK! Ref is back in! 1-2-3! Baba wins!

Awesome babyface vs heel brawl, Baba fought fire with fire, never a dull moment, they ripped into each other, Crusher got meaner and more vicious as the match went on and Baba's selling and comeback were awesome! ****1/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1968-01-03-JWA] Giant Baba vs Crusher Lisowski