Pro Wrestling Only

[1969-12-19-NWA Hollywood] Giant Baba vs Fritz Von Erich

Superstar Sleeze

Between a post-vaccination vacation to Miami and a slew of night shifts, I have not gotten a chance to watch much wrestling, but looking to change that and picking up where I left off.

NWA International Champion Giant Baba vs Fritz Von Erich - Olympic Auditorium 12/19/69 Two out of Three Falls

This is too chopped up to rate, but it also too cool to pass up. Seeing LA footage from its heyday and seeing Baba work America is worth it. There is a one old lady who is a big Baba fan and she is always shouting "Get him back in the ring, Baba!" when Baba wins by DQ at the end, the crowd pops. Nice to see Baba over as a babyface! 

First Fall: Dont get much, Fritz is worse for wear on the apron. This was a staple of Fritz cowering heel strategy was too be on his back in the apron or in the ropes. He lures Baba to the outside and slams him into hard objects. Then he wins with a series of dropkicks. Nice Cowboy Kick after the fall. 

Second Fall: Baba beats the shit out of him with chops that Fritz sells well. You can see the difference between America and Japan here. In Japan, Fritz is much more aggressive because the Japanese has a natural inclination to dislike him. Here Fritz is more cowardly to ensure the American crowd does not root for him. I like this psychology. Fritz is near the bottom rope and the ref keeps breaking Baba. Eventually, Fritz takes advantage and single leg picks Baba and applies the Stomach Claw. Baba sells this incredibly well as that is Baba's strength above all else is his selling. They play a little King of the Mountain, but Baba chops his way back in. They do two ugly criss cross spots where I think Baba was wanted the Neckbreaker Drop but does not really get it, but thats the fall. Tied 1-1. 

Third Fall: We dont get much. Baba hits the Giant Chop for two. Goes for it again and this time Fritz evades and applies the IRON CLAW~! Baba starts bleeding from the headcrusher. Baba was in the ropes; Fritz pulls him back into the center, but will not break so the ref disqualifies Fritz. The crowd pops which is nice. I thought it was kinda lame, but 1969 was a simpler time. 

Good look at Baba in America and to see the differences between America and Japan.  

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1969-12-19-NWA Hollywood] Giant Baba vs Fritz Von Erich