Pro Wrestling Only

[1988-07-15-AJPW] Toshiaki Kawada & Ricky Fuyuki vs Shunji Takano & Shinichi Nakano

Superstar Sleeze

All-Asia Tag Team Champions Toshiaki Kawada & Ricky Fuyuki vs Shunji Takano & Shinichi Nakano - AJPW 7/15/88

I had never seen Takano and Nakano before. By listening to the Japanese commentary very closely, I am 99% sure the first one who is the smaller of the two. Takano is actually pretty big, by far the biggest guy in the match and kinda surprised nothing ever came of him. 

Excellent all-out action, workrate tag with just enough smoky Southern flavor to sink your teeth into. Kawada is boosting himself here. I think going through watching all that 90s All Japan I was taking Kawada for granted. Seeing him in this setting not against fellow GOAT-contenders, the little things he does really stands out. The way runs like he is totally out of control on Lariats, hurling his body into everything and just how his performance drips with effort. Kawada & Fuyuki come out firing on Nakano, but Takano proves himself to be a game changer. I am glad Kawada dumped the back handspring Elbow. It is fun young plucky junior move because he hits out of control but it would not fit him as Dangerous K. It is interesting that Nakano does the famous Kawada spinning heel kick in this match. Takano & Nakano love their legdrops. They work Kawada's back with a Boston Crab and a Camel Clutch. At some point Takano and Fuyuki get into a great slap fight. Takano was definitely the more interesting of the two. In the second heat segment after the Back Handspring Reverse Elbow, Takano drops down into a knee bar and they work the leg, up until this point. I thought this was a fun Juniors tag but they kicked up into next gear when Takano catches Fuyuki coming down in a crossbody with a gutbuster. They work over the abdomen like pros. This total Southern style. Fuyuki is a great FIP. Nice abdominal stretch on Fuyuki.  They beat his ass on the outside whipping him into the railing. I am a mark for the Torture Rack and Nakano does it and then Takano jumps off the top rope onto Fuyuki. That was killer. Takano misses a charge. HOT TAG! KAWADA COMES IN WITH AN OUT OF CONTROL LARIAT! Fuyuki tries to do the same thing and gets decapitated by a big boot from Takano! MARK OUT CITY! POPPED HUGE FOR THAT! Kawada German for two! Kawada tries the Spinning Heel Kick but Takano throws his ass down. Nakano & Kawada trade hot Steamboat-esque nearfalls. Fuyuki gets tagged in and Takano press slams him off the top! People love picking on Fuyuki! Takano hits a massive Bombs Away Kneedrop! Kawada saves! Fisherman Suplex by Nakano gets two! Northern Lights Suplex! Crazy diving save by Kawada! Kawada slingshot press to the floor but Takano moves and he eats CEMENT! Takano massive missile dropkick on Fuyuki! Big German from Takano but Kawada saves! Takano tries again and Fuyuki slips under to cradle him for the win! 

Is it me or was Shunji Takano really damn good? I see he went to SWS/WAR so thats probably why I am unfamiliar with him. He and Nakano seemed more over with the crowd as they were getting chants even though Fuyuki played what Americans would traditionally see as face in peril. I thought the beginning was kind of all over the place but the heat segment on Fuyuki and the finish run was crazy awesome. A **** and a ***** ending, so lets take the average. ****1/2