Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-12-10-NJPW] Tatsumi Fujinami vs Kengo Kimura

Superstar Sleeze

Tatsumi Fujinami vs Kengo Kimura - NJPW 12/10/86

I absolutely loved their 1/2/87 bloody barnburner and apparently this is the set up match! It is on New Japan World so I was chomping at the bit to watch this. Fujinami & Kimura were the current IWGP Tag Team Champions. I can only speculate that this was some sort of respect feud or Kimura trying to step out of Fujinami's shadow. Interestingly, in contrast to the January it is Fujinami that is the more aggressive of the two. He jumps Kimura from behind at the bell. He really takes it to Kimura. Throwing him around and focusing on the arm. Lots of hammerlocks and double wristlocks. He is countering Kimura at every turn. He is really schooling Kimura on the mat. You get the beginning of the match is to really establish that Fujinami is the better wrestler and he is putting Kimura in his place. Know your role and shut your mouth. Fujinami works two short arm scissors which I love. Eventually Kimura has had enough of this and just snaps PUNCHING Fujinami in the face! Fujinami powders and motions that he cant believe Kimura just stooped so low as to punch his long-time partner in the face. Kimura goes for eye-rakes and more punches when he gets into the full mount and start punching Fujinami liberally with closed fists. This is my shit! I love babyface vs babyface matches where tempers flare. Kimura throws a blizzard of kicks. Fujinami dragon leg screws by catching one of the kicks. This is tremendous! Nice slap exchanges. Kimura back drop driver. Kimura KNEE LARIAT~! TWO PILEDRIVERS! I saw this in Maeda/Kido match so this is definitely standard Kimura offense. Second piledriver is too close to the ropes and Fujinami's foot is on the ropes! Same with the second Back Drop Driver. This is what separates the senior and junior partners. They trade backslides and it is a Sunset Flip in the corner that gets Fujinami the duke. Perfect technical ending to a heated babyface vs babyface match. Terrific! ****