Pro Wrestling Only

Awesome Kong

Grimmas

CurtainJerker said: "

Want to diversity your ballot this time, whether it be race, gender, or style? Kia Stevens is someone who was left off nominations previously. She played the monster heel exceptionally well, and had amazing power moves and awesome top rope spots. Believable, threatening aura. She went all out with total action and could have satisfying complete matches in 10 minutes. Had 800 recorded matches. Japanese cred, in demand in U.S., but never had a successful WWE/AEW run which hurt her recognition. If you are looking at non-joshi women to think about Kong actually is an excellent worker compared to the 2000s WWE's pre-Revolution roster, not to mention the 1990s divas. She ignited the TNA Knockouts division with Gail Kim. Kong was hardcore and took sick bumps, had a great spinning backfist and powerbomb, didn't no sell, and was more agile than the nostalgic 1980s male hosses who racked up votes last time. Worked intergender matches, had babyface runs, and exciting three ways. If you were running a league in the 2000s, who would be better to top the women's division as a heel, champion, and then turn babyface?"

Amazing Kong vs. Aja Kong (4/30/2004) A warzone featuring the original and the new version

Amazing Kong vs MsChif 4/7/2007 Sickest backbreaker you will ever see, really showcases how dominating Kong is but is also willing to sell. I dare say this fun match would rank in the top 1% of modern day WWE, NXT, and AEW women's matches.

Amazing Kong vs Azumi Hyuga 8/26/2007 20-minute epic video game battle/legalized attempted murder. I broke down crying after Azumi got busted open.

Awesome Kong vs. Gail Kim 1/10/2008 Sub-10-minute TV match that will leave your jaw dropped [You can watch any Kim vs Kong match BTW, since they perfected Monster vs Underdog]

Awesome Kong vs. ODB (9/14/2008) Sick table highspots in a quick 10 minute match with a tough brawler

• 1 month later...

I do remember watching some very early Kong and being impressed by how good she was already for someone who had maybe a year or so actual ring work at that point. The main issue is that most of her Japan work came during a time where Joshi wrestling in general was on a major downturn and actual footage was incredibly hard to check out. I'll need to do a deep dive soon to see what's up with that these days.

That being said, she's a great sprint worker and a solid monster role when paired with someone who can play a equally impressive underdog alongside her. Top 100 material? Me personally at the moment, I don't see it.