Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-10-14-NJPW-The Spiral] Yuji Nagata vs Kazuyuki Fujita

Superstar Sleeze

IWGP Champion Yuji Nagata vs Kazuyuki Fujita - NJPW Tokyo Dome 10/14/02

First Review of 2023! LFG! I think the morning time slot is my best bet as my girlfriend is not much of a morning person (I’m not either for record she’s just less of one lol). 

Different than their 2001 match. This is way more pro wrestling oriented. The throws are coming a lot easier, there’s more high spots and it has a pro wrestling pace. Fujita feels like less of a Mountain to climb or force of nature, he is more of a bully heel. Two reasons for that. One is he goes over for throws a lot easier in the beginning. Nagata was very aggressive to start throwing Fujita’s characteristic ground and pound knees back at him and using throws to set up submission attempts. Second reason Fujita was more of a bully heel was most of his offense came in neutral zones such as the ropes, corner or outside. He would trap Nagata in these areas where he should break and smother him with ground & pound. His lone highspot was to set up the heat which was a Frankensteiner so he could pummel him on the floor. Fujita then went for some submissions for a short heat. The finish stretch I thought was excellent good blend of Inoki and Baba. Nagata started using head rocking kicks to stun Fujita to set up his victory. First it was a cross armbreaker but Fujita defended that and bullied him into the corner. Nagata lowered the knee pad and rocked Fujita with an exposed to knee to face. Another head kick plus three back drop drivers sealed the deal for Nagata. Less unique than the 2001 match but still a satisfying Dome main event. Fujita is very dry and Nagata is better but still on the dry side leaving this at ***1/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2002-10-14-NJPW-The Spiral] Yuji Nagata vs Kazuyuki Fujita