Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-01-04-NJPW-Wrestling World 2003] Yuji Nagata vs Josh Barnett

Superstar Sleeze

IWGP Champion Yuji Nagata vs Josh Barnett - NJPW Tokyo Dome 1/4/03

Barnett is definitely more of a natural than Bob Sapp. If he dedicated his time to pro wrestling I think he would’ve been great. He has the mechanics down pat, he just needed to get the soft skills down like interacting with the crowd and showing his emotions.

Due to that and Nagata being a rather dry performer it makes for a good but not great match. A trope in puroresu is he who takes most of the lickin’ ends up in winning’. Barnett takes most of the early match with the usual MMA style work think double wristlocks, cross-arm breakers, chokes and leglocks. He busts out a cool body scissors takedown into a cool cloverleaf. He does something else cool that I can’t remember because it’s been a couple hours. He rocks Nagata with a flying knee that doubles as a tackle. Nagata avoids the second and step up knee rocks Barnett. This is Nagata first major in-road. He was peppering Barnett with kicks but this is the first time he got the advantage. He throws Barnett around. Barnett does get a last gasp. A guillotine choke I believe but a rainbow spin wheel kick ends Barnett’s day. Finish was a bit anti-climatic out of nowhere but I do like Inokiism commitment to head-rocking strikes being turning points. The newly crowned NWF Champion Takayama strolls down for a stare down with Nagata. To quote David Coverdale…Oooooooooooo DRAMA! ***1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2003-01-04-NJPW-Wrestling World 2003] Yuji Nagata vs Josh Barnett