Pro Wrestling Only

[2003-06-10-NJPW-The Crush in Osaka] Yoshihiro Takayama vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Superstar Sleeze

IWGP Champion Yoshihiro Takayama vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan - NJPW 6/10/03

Takayama’s first defense as IWGP Champion after defeating Nagata in the Dome. It is still unclear what constitutes an IWGP defense versus a NWF title defense. Tenzan came up short last year against Yasuda and doesn’t look like he got a shot against Nagata. Tenzan is incredibly over throughout the match so while I’m not a huge Tenzan fan based on crowd response he has earned this spot. 

My standard line he is the best possible goon or bruiser. He is like the best possible version of a Nasty Boy. I do appreciate that you always know what you’re going to get with Tenzan. With the right opponent, you can get a lot of mileage out of him because he puts parameters on what can and can’t be done which can inspire creativity. What’s interesting is I found the Yasuda more interesting until the very end because it was two very limited workers trying to figure out how to work a match. Takayama who is clearly much better than either however doesn’t really force Tenzan to wrestle an interesting match. Takayama because he is so dynamic and adaptable is able to just cruise through this and work a normal match. Whereas a Tanahashi can bring something special out of a Tenzan and a Yasuda causes me to be like how the fuck are these two gonna have a match. Takayama makes it too easy for Tenzan.

Pretty standard New Japan feeling out process. They go the test of strength which is perfect for these two heavy hitters. Some shoulder tackle standoffs. Tenzan wins with a spinning heel kick then sends Takayama to the floor and its Air Tenzan! Now that was an ugly ass Slingshot Plancha and I was here for it. Big Suplex back in, nice struggle. Tenzan consolidates the advantage and does what Tenzan does: clubber. He leaves himself open to some Kicks  and in the scramble Takayama rocks him with a big kneelift! Classic Takayama!

Takayama’s control segment is solid, but uninspiring. I could watch Takayama throw kicks and knees for days but there was nothing special here. Takayama uncharacteristically goes to the top and gets thrown off. Tenzan tombstone for the first near fall. Takayama takes back over shortly only for Tenzan to catch a kick and HEADBUTT THE KNEE! The Yasuda strategy I dig. Perfect Tenzan psychology.

Dragon leg screw. Top Rope Diving headbutt to the knee! Love it! Big Tenzan finish stretch…Tenzansault and Anaconda Vice. Lots of Tenzan clubbering after running out of things to do. TAKAYAMA LUNGES FROM HIA KNEES AND HEADBUTTS TENZAN IN THE FACE! HELL YEAH! Two big kneelifts and an Everest German and that’s all she wrote.

This felt sub-*** to me until Takayama insanely sick headbutt transition to win. From tut headbutt to the German was like 30 seconds tops. It was like the best 30 seconds ever. So gotta be ***

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2003-06-10-NJPW-The Crush in Osaka] Yoshihiro Takayama vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan