Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-01-04-HUSTLE 1] Naoya Ogawa vs Bill Goldberg

Superstar Sleeze

Naoya Ogawa vs Bill Goldberg - HUSTLE 1/4/04

I don’t know how they got Goldberg as he was in the middle of his WWE run. Goldberg is perfect for Japan. Honestly he should have just worked Japan post-WCW (I know he worked some All Japan for Mutoh) but Goldberg in Inokiist New Japan would have been money. 

While this didn’t meet my lofty expectations I still thought it was very entertaining. These are two monsters who are very interesting in matches when conventional pro wrestlers have to get creative and figure them out. Here it is King Kong vs Godzilla which is fun but not as fun as when a mortal is involved. Oh Goldberg is aligned with Boss Takada who is in a normal suit no Generalissimo yet. 

Ogawa overwhelms Goldberg early and crowds him in the corner. The ref tries to come between them and Goldberg roars back. Excellent Steinerline by Goldberg. Military Pressing Ogawa was impressive but the catch & slam popped me. Honestly it is pretty late (I’m working night shift) and my memory is already hazy. Basically there were two many leglocks. It is King Kong vs Godzilla stand & bang throw each other around. Otherwise it’s awesome. Ogawa SPACE TORNADO OGAWA WAS KILLER! They both get sick of the ref and clobber him. SPEAR~! It is not even close. Goldberg has the best spear ever. Visual pin. OO-SOTO-GARI! Visual pin! Interesting. Ogawa wants another but Goldberg dead weights him. Giant Silva trips Ogawa and chops him.  SPEAR~! Jackhammer! 

Takada celebrates with Goldberg. Hashimoto peels down the aisle in a hilarious moment. They argue. Sick melee where Ogawa RIPS Takada down and then it gets broken up. They should have ran Ogawa vs Takada immediately for HUSTLE 2. Fun power match. ***1/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2004-01-04-HUSTLE 1] Naoya Ogawa vs Bill Goldberg