Pro Wrestling Only

[2004-07-15-WWE-Smackdown] JBL vs Eddie Guerrero (Cage)

ohtani's jacket

This was a decent capper to the JBL vs Eddie feud, though it would’ve been far more memorable if Eddie had won the belt back. The action was good, and Eddie’s selling was phenomenal throughout, but the storytelling didn’t always make sense. I couldn’t buy into the idea that JBL was afraid of this type of match, or that cage matches were Eddie’s playground. Given the size advantage, JBL should have been far and away the aggressor. I’m fact, it would have played out better if JBL was stooping to barbaric means to retain his title. The other problem I had with the match was the frog splash from the top of the cage. I can’t remember if Eddie had done it before (probably), but as incredible as it was, it basically cost him the title and it was forgotten about once the bout was over. Waste of a highlight reel move right there. Then there was the finish with Kurt Angle getting involved, which was the WWE reverting back to their usual meh booking. It was odd that no one bled considering how blade happy the workers have been in 2004. I kind of wish this has been a SummerSlam bout instead of a TV match. I would have preferred Eddie to carry the belt through to SummerSlam and drop the title there, but that ain’t how the cookie crumbled. Eddie vs Angle isn’t my favorite match up in the world but it makes sense that Angle is still pissed about losing the belt. 

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2004-07-15-WWE-Smackdown] JBL vs Eddie Guerrero (Cage)