Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-12-07-NOAH-Navigation Uprising Spirit] Mitsuharu Misawa vs Yoshinari Ogawa

Superstar Sleeze

GHC Champion Mitsuharu Misawa vs Yoshinari Ogawa - NOAH 12/7/02

My first Misawa match in years! My first Rat Boy match in years! This Misawa’s lone defense before losing the title to Kobashi at 3/1/03. An unheralded Misawa title defense means one of two things: it sucks or people are sleeping on Rat Boy. The truth is in between it is very good and enjoyable but I hesitate to call it great.

I thought the first 15 minutes were spectacular. The opening was wrestled like two tag partners fighting for a singles title which was great tit for tat with Misawa teasing the elbow and them trading slams. Ogawa controls the opening porting with side headlocks and figure-4 headlocks but what is interesting is how they work in and out of these holds. Ogawa is doing everything he can to stymie Misawa’s momentum. The first Misawa elbow is met with an eye poke. The next leads to a cravate scramble. A missed Misawa Senton leads to a figure-4 headlock. Great work by Ogawa. Misawa lifts Ogawa over the top rope while in a headlock and rocks him with elbows. It takes a bit but an Elbow Suicida wins him control. I love Misawa had to earn it. Misawa mid-match control segment is the same as always but beautiful to watch. A Tiger Driver punctuates it. Misawa loses control on the outside missing a somersault plancha off the apron. Ogawa needs a DDT on the ramp to consolidate his advantage.

This is where they lose me as all of sudden Rat Boy becomes Suplex City Brock Lesnar endlessly dropping Misawa over and over again on his head with Backdrop Drivers. I didn’t count them but had to be at least ten if not a dozen. Misawa hits and Elbow or a Tiger Driver I can’t remember to level the playing field. The finish stretch is fun it is a combination of Misawa Elbows & Tiger Drivers vs Ogawa’s cradles. Misawa wind with Emerald Flowsion.

Takes out the penultimate segment with Ogawa in control and replace with something more creative and this match could be great but as is it is still very good loved the front half! ***1/2

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2002-12-07-NOAH-Navigation Uprising Spirit] Mitsuharu Misawa vs Yoshinari Ogawa