[1980-03-07-NJPW] George Takano & Gran Hamada vs Armando Guerrero & Baby Face

SAMS

1980-03-07
NJPW
George Takano & Gran Hamada vs. Armando Guerrero & Baby Face
General Gymnasium, Matsusaka, Mie, Japan
Card
★★★

I came away from this match really not impressed with either Mando Guerrero or George Takano. Well, apart from Takano’s movie star good looks which apparently, and unsurprisingly, makes him very popular with the ladies. Gran Hamada and Baby Face however, when matched up against each other, were golden. Mando and George were awkward when they were in, and especially when matched up against each other, and Mando in particular really looked like a fish out of water.
His partner Baby Face was great though, he has a really stocky build and it’s a body type I feel like we don’t see as often nowadays. Similar to Hoshino, he’s like a pumped up baby with a grown man’s face. But despite the frame, boy can he move and the sequences with him and Hamada were a joy. He was also able to, in brief snippets, get across his character and display some solid charisma so I’ve got my fingers crossed that there’s more of him on tape coming up.
Hamada is much more subtle on the character front but in terms of workrate he takes the cake. He looked so smooth and fluid when he was flying around the ring and he got so much air on his back body drops that I’m sure he had snow on his boots when he came back to Earth. 
Hamada & Gorgeous George won it when Hamada took Baby Face out with a dive to the outside and Takano managed to hit a victory roll on Mando.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1980-03-07-NJPW] George Takano & Gran Hamada vs Armando Guerrero & Baby Face