Pro Wrestling Only

[1980-04-19-CWA-TV] Bill Dundee vs Larry Latham

SAMS

1980-04-19
CWA
Bill Dundee vs. Larry Latham
★★★

Easily the best TV match from Memphis and most likely the longest so far in ‘80. Definitely the only one I recall exceeding the 10 minute mark. For some reason Dundee was extremely serious going into this one, against your random jobber he usually had a more easy going vibe. 
This was an exceptional performance from Dundee. He made Latham, who I thought was the least interesting member of the Blonde Bombers, look like a legitimate threat. Latham’s punches did look great but Dundee sold Latham’s offense like a champ. Earlier on Latham worked the arm, then Dundee between his own offense would sell that arm. Later on Dundee missed a knee drop and Latham began targeting that, then Dundee began constantly selling the knee, including pulling out of a body slam attempt because of it. Definitely a great example of limb selling and a good example of when to switch up and logically begin to sell a different limb. 
Dundee’s seriousness here I thought added an edge too, he clearly was very aware of Danny Davis at ringside, and his desperation to steer clear of that corner just added to the threat that he posed.
Despite the aforementioned leg selling, Dundee managed to dig deep and hit a cross body off the second rope and steal the pin and he scarpered pretty quickly before Farris could make his way to the ring and outnumber him even further.
It was really good to see Dundee in something substantial. With Lawler out with a broken leg I would have thought it would be Dundee picking up the slack, but at least from the footage I’ve seen, he’s kind of been drifting while Jimmy Hart’s stable and Jimmy Valiant have been the main show so perhaps this is a turning point for him.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1980-04-19-CWA-TV] Bill Dundee vs Larry Latham