Pro Wrestling Only

OJ's WWWF/WWF thread

ohtani's jacket

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers vs. The Rockers (WWF, 10/10/89)

This is the most house show match imaginable except that it's wrestled on the first ever WWF show in the UK so the British fans don't know what to expect. That makes it a more special bout than it would have been if it had been worked on the usual WWF circuit. Michaels may have gotten hammy later on, but he was a solid FIP in his early days. The action here was much better than in the Hart Foundation matches. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers vs. The Rockers (WWF, 10/13/89)

The WWF's European tour continues with a stop in Paris. I thought this was more exciting than the London match as there was less stalling and the crowd was hotter. Others may argue that it was more of a sprint than the drawn out London bout, but the quick action hit the spot for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers vs. The British Bulldogs (WWF, 8/29/88)

This was the first WWF PPV I watched both on commercial tape and on free-to-air TV. I'm fairly sure this match bored the crap out of me as a child as I was only interested in the gimmicks and the match results at the time, but watching it now, it's a well worked opener with a ton of action and pretty good use of a limited Dynamite Kid. There's a guy minding Matilda at ringside who takes you out of the match at time, especially when he tries to reposition Matilda so that it looks like she's watching the match, but for the most part it is a solid opener. The MSG configuration seems different from how it was in the late 70s-early 80s and is fairly sterile, but I still buy this as a good WWF match. Superstar is great on commentary. Monsoon says SummerSlam is a happening at least three times. 

Dick Murdoch vs Afa (WWF, 10/22/84)

This was a fun match. Of course, it was Murdoch doing a bunch of entertaining shtick almost like a one man comedy act, but it got me wishing that Dick had done a bit more in the WWF so that we could call him a WWF guy. He worked New Japan a lot with the WWF guys, but if he'd just had a few runs against Backlund, or even against Hogan, I think he'd be right up there with Valentine and Slaughter. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dream Team vs. U.S. Express (WWF, 8/24/85)

I like the Dream Team. It gave Greg something to do after the Tito feud and featured Beefcake's best work. Beefcake was one of the workers who first appealed to me as a kid watching Superstars with my uncle, so I am totally fine with him as Greg's partner. This was a decent match with a hot finish. Barry dominated the early shine and came to blows with the Hammer. Rotunda played face-in-peril during the middle period. Barry made the hot tag and looked to have things in control until Beefcake blinded him with some sort of powder. Barry's selling was awesome. The Dream Team won the titles and the crowd seemed a little shocked that there had been a title change. Barry is another case where you wonder what might have been if he'd stayed in the WWF even though we were probably better off watching him in Crockett. 

Dream Team vs. British Bulldogs (WWF, 5/19/86)

There are a million Dream Team vs. Bulldogs matches. This is the first one I happened to watch. It was a brisk and entertaining match. We got to see Valentine vs. Dynamite Kid, which was exciting. In the right setting those two could have had a match where they beat the shit out of each other. Fun finish with the heels thinking they'd won the title only for the ref to screw them.