Pro Wrestling Only

[2002-07-17-AJPW-Summer Action Series, Night Nine] Keiji Mutoh & Taiyo Kea vs KroniK

Superstar Sleeze

AJPW World Tag Team Champions Keiji Mutoh & Taiyo Kea vs KroniK - AJPW 7/17/02

Yes because I’m a total weirdo I’m watching Kronik in 2002 All Japan. Crazy fun fact this the 5th to last match for both Adams and Clark period. I figured Adams would stop soon because he you know died and all but I wouldn’t have been surprised if Clark was wrestling to this day. I plan on reviewing both for their final matches together. 

Much to my surprise, this is did not suck. It was NOT 6/9/95 but it did not suck. I would say it was distinctively average. It was a lot of spots some of them high some of them just strikes but they always kept it moving. There was no narrative. Kronik was way more giving than I expected. Clark bumped on every DROPKICK and pretty much every spot. Adams was a little stingier but still went over on a biel easy and ate Mutoh’s offense. The match actually would’ve been better if they bumped less. Then it would have created a mountain for Mutoh and Kea to climb. Kronik kinda wrestled as monster babyfaces early big shine energy on the Adams press slam of Mutoh and the double hip toss on Kea. They do an eye rake earlier. Honestly they were just doing shit. Really fell in love with the round kick even though he sucked at them but he had a really good chop. Was he always good at chopping? Basically ran through this 2001 Mutoh sequence you know the drill DROPKICKs to the knee, Dragon Leg Screw Figure-4. Clark broke it up. Kea was pretty much a non-factor in that match he had some good strikes. He gets taken out. Mutoh hits the moonsault which most people bit on because he’s Mutoh and they probably figured Kronik was just here for a one shot, Kronik hits their double chokeslam. Kick out. MELTDOWN~! Clark pins Mutoh to win. Crush & Adam Bomb are in the same lineage as the Holy Demon Army and Misawa/Kobashi! HELL YEAH!

if this has a narrative I’d give it *** it was not bad. Meltdown looked killer and am surprised that was the finish not the double team. Surprisingly not bad. 

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [2002-07-17-AJPW-Summer Action Series, Night Nine] Keiji Mutoh & Taiyo Kea vs KroniK