Pro Wrestling Only

Don Frye

Grimmas

Elliott said:

I've been watching some Don Frye matches and my goodness what an awesome wrestler. Super charismatic shootstyle heel ass kicker who will punch people in the groin or bite them in the knee if that's what it takes. I kind of figured I was in for a charismatic ass kicker and he has delivered in that regard. I've watched ~15 matches and he is a lot more well rounded than I was expecting. The charisma & aura are there & he brings the violence as you would expect. But what has stood out as a pleasant surprise is his bumping, selling & willingness to completely put over his opponent on the way to beating them. He will absolutely let Yuji Nagata beat the shit out of him & dominate him before finding his opening & beating him thoroughly or he'll sell Akitoshi Saito's kicks like they're the most devastating thing in the world. Watching an American shoot-style guy in the late 90s dominate people in short but convincing fashion I can't help but think about Goldberg and Frye is so much better & more well rounded it's rude to even compare the two. Frye can put over his opponents in ways Goldberg never could while maintaining that badass aura. Given his look, aura & ability it is kind of crazy to me that WCW or WWE never tried to sign him. Anyway, just a super pro-wrestler a couple of years into his career. I'm excited to watch more. Shoot style fans seriously need to give this guy a look. 

Don Frye vs Kazuo Yamazaki (NJPW - 11/2/97)

Don Frye vs Naoya Ogawa (NJPW - 1/4/98)

Don Frye vs Kensuke Sasaki (NJPW - 8/8/98)