Pro Wrestling Only

[1976-01-12-WWF-MSG] Bruno Sammartino vs Superstar Billy Graham

Superstar Sleeze

WWWF Heavyweight Champion Bruno Sammartino vs Superstar Billy Graham - WWF 1/12/76

Superstar Graham is such a magnetic personality that it overcomes almost all his limitations in the ring. I really enjoyed the title change so I am going back to their first encounter at MSG. According to Cagematch this is the correct date and the date I saw on the video of 10/13/75 belongs to Ivan Koloff.

The crowd heat for this match is off the charts. There is a very vocal quarter or third of the crowd that is chanting for Superstar. There is a loud Bruno chant to drown them out early. The crowd is whipped into a frenzy by the simplest of moves such as a top wristlock. Vince is positively drooling over Superstar he still calls the match in Bruno’s favor but there’s no denying his love for Superstar. Hogan was basically a more athletic and mobile Superstar. I loved the pre match ritual with the Grand Wizard I have seen it done with Ken Patera but this is next level great. Someone needs to steal this.

This is such an easy match to review every highspot is so big and so sticky. Every transition so intelligent and logical. This is such a classic WWF heavyweight main event. The crowd was red hot for the whole thing. They start off some shadow boxing but Superstar runs away like the yellow belly he is. The crowd reacts to everything. Superstar demonstrates his strength by shoving off Bruno during collar elbow tie ups but on the third Bruno shoved him hard into the buckles ricocheting into a top wristlock. The crowd roars! I know most will not have the patience for ten minutes of tests of strength but I am here for it! The top wristlock battle is compelling as Superstar yanks Bruno down by the hair. Bruno comebacks with a bodyslam as Superstar flails and writhes. Brilliant heel selling. They of course do the Greco-Roman knuckle lock test of strength. Superstar wins early but Bruno comes roaring back only for Superstar to butt him low. Off comes the wrist tape and he chokes Bruno. The crowd is hot! Bruno breaks free and he uses it on Superstar. Again Graham’s flailing reaction makes this all the better. Now we get the Bearhug. Great selling by Bruno and Superstar rams wicked hard into the buckles. It was insane! I thought Superstar concussed himself. Now Bruno back with his own Bearhug. This is such great heavyweight Clash of Titans wrestling. They knock heads and Bruno spills out of the ring to lose by countout to set up the rematch. Bruno sends Superstar packing over the top rope with a knuckle XZ sandwich. Bruno declares it is supposed to be a 20 count on the outside. lol.

Workrate marks recoil, heavyweight main event fans rejoice! This was incredible! So much fun! Simple but oh so effective. ***3/4

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1976-01-12-WWF-MSG] Bruno Sammartino vs Superstar Billy Graham