Pro Wrestling Only

[1977-10-24-WWWF-MSG] Superstar Billy Graham vs Dusty Rhodes (Texas Death)

Superstar Sleeze

WWWF Heavyweight Champion Superstar Billy Graham vs Dusty Rhodes - WWF MSG 10/24/77 Texas Death

It is 35 out on my walk & review think this will be short & sweet. I don’t believe I have ever seen this match. This is a rematch from the previous month’s Dusty countout victory.

I liked this better for sure compared to last month. I know a lot of people including myself can be frustrated and flummoxed by Texas Death Matches during this era of WWF as they do NOT utilize the stipulations to the extent Southern wrestling would. I will say by WWF standards this is pretty good. There’s at least double juice and a bull rope. So it is more violent than most WWF Death Matches. Dusty attacks before the bell. It is finger-wagging’ and booty-shaking time! I love it! Again Dusty feels like the bigger star even though I love the Superstar. Lots of Superstar powdering. He tried to bulldog Dusty into the apron but is shoved off. A butt to the breadbasket allows Graham to smash Dusty into the post & railing drawing blood. Superstar grabs a rope chokes Dusty and applies the Bearhug Dusty of course uses the Bionic Elbow to break it, he hangs Superstar with the rope excellent visual. He draws blood. Dusty tries to win with his feet on the ropes I mean it is no DQ but not falls count anywhere. In a very anticlimactic finish Graham collides with Dusty falls on top for the pin. Dusty kicks out at 3 and beats Superstar up back to the dressing room.

Texas Death was usually the blow off for Bruno, Pedro or Backlund so it was weird to book it for Graham as champ, as he wasn’t going to lose and due to the stipulations harder to do a fuck finish. I really enjoyed the body of the match but lame finish I was shocked Dusty let himself be pinned. ***1/4 

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1977-10-24-WWWF-MSG] Superstar Billy Graham vs Dusty Rhodes (Texas Death)