Pro Wrestling Only

[2005-02-26-ROH-Third Anniversary Celebration] Austin Aries vs Samoa Joe

I was kind of torn about whether it was a good idea to book this match. You're basically saying to the audience that you've got this guy who's the ex-champ that's so much better than the guy who's the current champ. On the other hand, Joe deserved a return match. Aries ran from him too often at the beginning of the match, which is not the kind of image I'd want to present if I were the newly crowned champ, but eventually there was some good back and forth action and Aries began fighting with the guts that won him the belt. Unfortunately, the finish was botched. It was supposed to be a fluke pin where Joe's shoulders were accidently caught on the mat, but the ref counted three before Aries was ready and it looked incredibly awkward as Aries reserved the hold after the ref had already called for the bell.

Positives from the match -- Joe went hard and I'm enjoying his 2005 more than his title run.