Pro Wrestling Only

[2024-03-20-NJPW-New Japan Cup] Yota Tsuji vs Hirooki Goto

The New Japan Cup finals have arrived, offering a much-needed reprieve from the disappointment of the tournament thus far. Tsuji's remarkable performance serves as a triumphant declaration of his arrival on the scene. He exudes the aura of a true star, poised to lead New Japan Pro-Wrestling into its next chapter, a sentiment echoed by the electrified crowd. Goto, too, proves his mettle once again, delivering a stellar performance despite not being in the main event spotlight. The match itself is a masterclass in pacing, filled with captivating counters and sequences reminiscent of New Japan's golden era from 2012 to 2019. While my enthusiasm for the product has waned this year, this match, coupled with Tsuji's upcoming journey, reignites the flame of my enjoyment for New Japan Pro-Wrestling.

Yota Tsuji vs Hirooki Goto - NJPW 3/20/24 New Japan Cup Finals

I am so excited to see pro wrestling in Korakuen Hall that New Japan could deliver a total shitburger that I will still be elated, but if I am to be objective, this has been very disappointing to see what is going in New Japan. I heard the Finals would be a lot better than Semifinals, but I am still not seeing it. Besides his big ass smile, I dont see what Tsuji has going for him. I am only two matches in so I will keep an open mind, but there is nothing about him that jumps off the page. He is just another dude that does the same things as everyone else nowadays. Goto is Goto. He is old stalwart. 

First highspot came about five minutes in, it was a suicide dive by Tsuji. The opening 5 minutes of customary New Japan feeling out was nothing to write home about. No fire in the lock ups or takedowns. Tsuji's control segment was pretty by the book. Bodyslam, body scissors. I found it funny Goto was doing these desperation chops and fall down to one knee after about 7 minutes of action, a suicide dive and a bodyslam. I mean credit for doing a traditional hope spot, a dying art, but dude how about you wait for Tsuji to do something actually devastating. Goto caught Tsuji with a lariat on criss-cross. He did his standard Goto spots. There was absolutely terrible criss-cross spot that was just so overly complicated and unnecessary. Pretty bad New Japan strike exchange. The finish run was not very good. Usually I expect the finish run to save this match and justify the lavish praise heaped upon these mediocre matches, but this was not even good by Cena/Owens standards of 2015. It was my turn, your turn dreck. Tsuji hits his one cool move that weird jumpy thing that leads to double stomp to Goto's head. Guess what next move Tsuji hoists Goto on his shoulders guess what Goto comes alive and puts Tsuji in a sleeper. Man, could they at least come u[ up with a better transition. The headbutt strike exchange was good. I think this may have been earlier after the terrible criss-cross, but there was a terrible moment where Tsuji just hopped up on Goto's shoulders to eat a move. The actual finish was decent. Goto went for some Rainmaker variation and Tsuji hit a spear which was cool. I am not thrilled with yet another wrestler using the Spear but Tsuji does his more look like a spear takedown. 

If you like today's style of wrestling, I am sure you will like this. I am not here to rain on anyone's parade. I just call em as I see em. It was a disappointing match.