Pro Wrestling Only

Bret Hart v Vader

goodhelmet

Bret Hart vs. Vader 1-6-97

Solid but unspectacular match. They brawl on the outside for awhile and exchange control inside the ring. The real gem is listening to HBK on guest commentary. His disdsain for Bret is blatant and Vince appears uncomfortable with this new direction of "real" TV. After awhile, the match becoame secondary to the commentary. In the end, vader wins aftyer interference from Stone Cold. Asutin stunners Bret on the outside. Vader rolls him in and hits the Vader splash.

Great line esp. after loss pointed out that Vince would always call Vader "The Man they call Vader".

Shawn: "Who's they? Are you talking about us?"

Vince called him Vader the rest of the match.

Guest Some Guy

One thing I think you'll notice throughout the comps is that Bret puts in nearly no effort if there is a ton of other shit going on around the ring. I assume he figured that no one was watching the match so why try?

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

One thing I think you'll notice throughout the comps is that Bret puts in nearly no effort if there is a ton of other shit going on around the ring.  I assume he figured that no one was watching the match so why try?

He's got the right idea. If all the attention is somewhere else, it makes no sense to wear yourself out physically doing stuff that nobody is watching or will remember. It's smarter to save yourself for when you've got everyone's attention, otherwise you're shortening your career for no reason.

Guest Some Guy

I agree, it was just an observation on my part. There was one Bret match, I think with Faarooq in late 97 where Bret looked like he had no clue what to do beacause of all the shenanigans with NoD, DX, The Harts, DOA, Boriquas, and whoever else was fucking around at ringside. You could see him looking around and I'm sure he was thinking that it was a bunch of shit that his match wasn't the centerpiece. He was right. Bret probably could have carried Simmons to a pretty decent match if he had the oppurtunity.