Pro Wrestling Only

Do the Women Today Draw More Money?

Guest Kenta Batista

Guest Kenta Batista

I am talking about WWF in the 80's compared to WWE now. Leaving Trish,Chyna, and Sable out of the equation. I'm talking about The Bella,Kelly Kelly,Maria,Eve,and Layla. Women who cannot wrestle and are absolutely no good in the ring. The reason why I ask this question is because I am seeing people waxing nostalgia about Moolah and Ritcher matches from the 80's and some where even pimping Martel. I go back and look at these and the were complete clusterfucks and bad (if not worse) then the current batch (obviously with the few exceptions). So bad wrestlers of the past and bad wrestlers today, who drew more between the two? Is there a way to calculate this.

Obviously some things will have to be eliminated(as media has changed over the years) such as internet searches, fan sites, image downloads. I think we can only go off of ratings,ticket sells, and 'talk' of the time. Can we safely say Kelly Kelly is a bigger draw then all of the WWF women wrestlers from the 80's? Is Eve Torres more of an asset to WWE then Moolah EVERY was. What holds up over time. The best women's match from WWF 80's or a semi decent affair between the divas today?

I think unless they have an exceptional personality, when you fill a show with women, it's just like filling it with men, and they're not going to draw based on their gender, whereas if there are less women, they are more likely to stand out and draw based on their gender. I do think even in the current environment, a woman with great charisma can be a top star, but they don't really seem too concerned with charisma for the most part.

I haven't seen her much, but I know Maryse is getting lots of praise at the moment because she has a great personality and carries herself like a star.

Women have really never drawn collectively though. I'm not quite sure what the question is.

Not all the 80s women were just the standard "Moolah's drinking buddies" with endless hairmares and crossbodies, either. Once they got some experience under their belts, people like Sherri and Madusa became perfectly tolerable workers. Plus don't forget matches like the Glamor Girls vs the Jumping Bomb Angels, which piss on every single matchup happening today in the WWE from a great height indeed.

Women's matchup, thought that extra adjective wouldn't be necessary in this thread.

Probably the last great women's match I can remember from this company was Trish vs Mickie, I haven't seen anything since then with the new generation of divas which even came close. Heck, "talents" like Candice and Ashley made people like Chyna and Sable look downright competent in comparison.

I'm sure Jingus meant womens matchups. A lot of that had to do with the Angels working a style that had never been seen before for women's wrestling in the United States, and that Leilani Kai and Judy Martin were able to hold their own against the Angels and pick up their pace as well.

That being said, I'd pick Madusa (Alundra Blayze) against Bull Nakano for an example of the best women's wrestling match held in a North American promotion.