Pro Wrestling Only

Rock-Austin WrestleMania XVII

artDDP

The WM19 match takes everything in the WM17 match and does it better. [...] WM17's advantages are just being in Texas and being the peak of the boom period.

One was for the whole ball of wax. The other was pushed less than Hogan-Vince, and was sandwiched in build up between Brock-Kurt and Trip-Book as the anchor feuds/matches for each brand.

They were the "biggest stars in the company", but had just been brought back. Rock was there for a trilogy of matches (Hogan, Austin, Goldberg) before heading back out... it never felt like the fans really took to Heel Rock at that point, and I don't recall the Backlash PPV doing business.

Just don't think there was the drama there in 2003, where as 2001 was batshit intense.

John

I prefer their match at WrestleMania XV.

This is pretty much the definition of a nothing, "my turn, your turn" match. I'd have given it thumbs up as a TV main event. Maybe. But a Wrestlemania?

XV was a disaster as an overall show. This main event was better than most of what was on it but that only raises it above "disaster" into "okay, they didn't screw up my turn, your turn".

• 1 year later...

Missed this when the thread was originally going on:

How would adding 15 more minutes have *helped* the match? Is there really that much more for them to have done?

The match felt rushed to me at 30 minutes. I don't know what else they could have done, but a longer-than-usual match for the two biggest stars of the era isn't a weird request.

This was their "long" match:

03/28/99 Mania: Steve Austin pinned The Rock (16:52)

04/25/99 Backlash '99: Steve Austin pinned The Rock (17:07)

04/01/01 Mania: Steve Austin pinned The Rock (28:06)

03/30/03 Mania: The Rock pinned Steve Austin (17:53)

:)

John