Pro Wrestling Only

Your Guilty Pleasure

Guest Some Guy

Guest Some Guy

Basically who is your guilty pleasure, the wrestler who you like but sucks or whatever. And what's your favorite match that has been critically panned?

Wrestler: Goldberg. I love the guy's power moves and charisma, he didn't use the same generic 1980s power moves that all the current hosses use. He came up with original moves, like the press slam into the powerslam or spinebuster, he was the first to use the spear (or at least in the manner he used it), and the jackhammer was a cool finish. I hated him when he first started and then he slowly started growing on me to the point where I was pissed at how badly they were using him in WWE. I think it had to do with the realization that if he hadn't been fucked with so much in WCW then they might still be in business and I watched WWE make the same mistakes and some new ones with him. With guys like Steiner I didn't really care that they were buried but Goldberg could have turned that company around if they did it right. There are maybe two examples of WWE using Goldberg right, his first night when he speared Rock and Summerslam 03 before the finish and not suprisingly those are the two nights that he was most over. Goldberg should have run straight through that roster and right on through HHH for the belt at Summerslam before facing Brock at WM 04. With Goldberg the money is not in the chase if it requires losing matches to the champ, if HHH had thrown a billion guys in front of him and actually showed fear then it would work but HHH treated him with indifference for the most part and booked the matches like they were typical boring HHH MEs. I understand that the MEs would have sucked from a workrate standpoint but they did anyway in 2003 and he would have drawn if they used him anywhere close to correctly.

As far as bad matches that I like I'll stay on the Goldberg kick and go with SS 03's Elimination Chamber.

I'm a real big Raven "mark" although after the bell rings, he's not so hot. His best promo's came from when he was coked out of his head, but I just got into his character. His storylines were always entertaining and drama filled. Not only that, but he was a good heel during a time period where I was tired of rooting for the good guys all the time.

I always thought that he wore kickass T-shirts too. A lot of Sandman comic shirts and band shits. Dinosaur Jr. for example.

His on-going feud with Tommy Dreamer in ECW was GREAT. I loved his shit in WCW too. From his feud with DDP to Saturn trying to free the Flock.

I don't really know what match to name. I liked most of them, and damn near all of them are forgetable. I guess the WCW triple threat match with Benoit & Page has some decent exposure...but I wasn't too big of a fan of that match. The finish came off as being botched to me since the table didn't break with the Diamond Cutter.

I guess I'll say his Bash at the Beach 1996 match with Perry Saturn. No one ever talks about that match, and I've probably watched it ten times.

Guest Steffie

Mine would be none other than...THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR!! Yes he was probably the single worst wrestler of all time and had a move-set consisting entirely of a shoulder charge, gorilla press, clothesline and big splash, but he just had that X-factor you need. I just loved when he hit the ring and acted a jackass basically. The only good match I ever saw him in was the WrestleMania 6 main-event. Strangely enough with another one of the worst wrestlers of all time. He was so bad that I even knew he was crap when I started watching wrestling at 8 years old. But hell, I'd probably still mark out for him if he turned up on Raw next week

Guest HarleyQuinn

Wrestler: Perry Saturn, mainly because of his ties with Raven in their WCW run but I also dug him during his Manson-esque goth drag deal during his feud with Jericho.

Mine would be none other than...THE ULTIMATE WARRIOR!! Yes he was probably the single worst wrestler of all time and had a move-set consisting entirely of a shoulder charge, gorilla press, clothesline and big splash, but he just had that X-factor you need. I just loved when he hit the ring and acted a jackass basically. The only good match I ever saw him in was the WrestleMania 6 main-event. Strangely enough with another one of the worst wrestlers of all time. He was so bad that I even knew he was crap when I started watching wrestling at 8 years old. But hell, I'd probably still mark out for him if he turned up on Raw next week

Ditto, and if the WWE does it right (something we always say), the Warrior 2-disc DVD should be a lot of fun. I'd avoid the latter part of his career when producing it (except for the HHH squash :) ), but the early part of his career is fun. There's the Hogan WM match, the SNME Hogan/Warrior vs. Hennig/Poffo match that helped build to WM, the Rude matches, the Honky squash, the two Savage matches, and just for fun, I'd throw in the Survivor Series '89 match. If Vince has access to UWF stuff, there may be a Bladerunners tag in there worth throwing on.

Guest Some Guy

I liked the 96 run. He would go out and start swearing up a storm in promos, it was pretty cool in mid-96. "You want a full length motion picture? It'll be me kicking your ass from begining to end!" And he said "bullshit" a few times in promos as well. The dumbass feud he ha with Lawler that blew off at KotR and set up for the strangest 6 man that never happened. Shawn, Warrior, and Ahmed vs. Camp Cornette. I remember think that they were a strange threesome even as a 15 year old mark. I might have to go did out my Raw tapes from 96 just to watch his promos and the squash match he did with Yankem (Kane) and maybe follow it up with watching him no sell the Pedigree and squash HHH at WM 12. I haev a theory that every time Vince asks HHH to job and he doesn't want to that HHH, "Just starts whining about that job and Vince says, "OK son, you can win with a sledgehammer shot and the Pedigree, we don't really need anybody drawing money around here."

As, I've said before they must put Hogan/Warrior II on this disc. I need to see it after reading the review of it in Death of WCW.

Why Survivor Series 89? Why not 90, Warrior, Von Erich, LOD vs. Hennig, Ax, Smash, and Crush and the final match with Hogan, Warrior, Santana vs. the heel survivors? The 89 match had poor Marty Jannetty losing to Bobby Heenan, which Marty complained (well, he dind't really complain, he just mentioned it and groused a little) about in an interview I heard.

Why Survivor Series 89?  Why not 90, Warrior, Von Erich, LOD vs. Hennig, Ax, Smash, and Crush and the final match with Hogan, Warrior, Santana vs. the heel survivors?  The 89 match had poor Marty Jannetty losing to Bobby Heenan, which Marty complained (well, he dind't really complain, he just mentioned it and groused a little) about in an interview I heard.

It's a guilty pleasure of mine watching Heenan get slaughtered by the Warrior.

You raise a good point about the '90 series though. Actually, that year's PPV (sans Gooker) was a very interesting concept.

Guest Some Guy

I think they should have stayed with it. It was a good way to get guys over if done properly. Take a guy like John Cena, they could have him be the sole survivor on his team and end up with him against 3 guys(after his partner is eliminated) and beat them all. Having a guy beat4 or guys in one night should help a lot in getting someone over, especially if two of them are top guys, Taker and Angle for example.