Pro Wrestling Only

Shinya Hashimoto

El-P

Shinya Hashimoto vs. Naoya Ogawa (NJPW 10/11/1999)

Based on what I have read about it, this is a polarizing match to say the least with opinions ranging from garbage to all time classic. Regardless of the booking, as a match I thought it was pretty excellent. Ogawa was pretty good in this actually with great looking offense (though it did get repetitive) and I liked his frequent taunting. Hashimoto carries it though with his selling and ability to generate drama. There was also a cool spot where he tried to minimize the distance between himself and Ogawa to counteract the strikes. They could have taken it home about 2-3 minutes earlier though because the finishing stretch dragged a bit. **** 1/4

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shinya Hashimoto & Masa Saito vs Scott Hall & Punisher Dice Morgan-NJPW 19.3.1990.
I had no idea The Undertaker had challenged for the IWGP Tag Titles. He looked really green here, busting out the world's sloppiest gutwrench suplex, relying on the iron claw to get through many control segments and just being dull in general. Hall wasn't very impressive either. I enjoyed Hashimoto potatoing guys, and watching him and Masa Saito throw the big americans around was a lot of fun. I loved Saito's hulk up and comebacks, they really got the crowd into the match. While Hall and Taker weren't any good I feel like despite their underwhelming control segments they didn't ruin the match altogether because the match wasn't that long and it peaked at just the right time so I feel like it deserves at least a passable rating.

**1/2

Shinya Hashimoto & Masahiro Chono vs Genichiro Tenryu & Ashura Hara-WAR 1.10.1993.
Hashimoto-Tenryu is an all time great match up, Hara is also really cool and while I could do without Chono and the annoying sounds he makes while kicking or just breathing he was completely fine here. I mean you don't have to be very good to make Tenryu and Hara beating the shit out of you compelling but he deserves props here, he kicked people in the head and used his overness to rile up the crowd, can't ask much more than that. I absolutely love the way Hashimoto would block Tenryu's chops by shielding his chest with his arm, Hashimoto is a guy wnose move-set is both distinctive and unique without being alienating or wacky but when he is in there with Tenryu he will punch him in the face and that is what I am about. Last minute is just out of this world dramatic. On the short side, but very action packed and you can't complain when the action includes Tenryu soccer kicking folks. Another match whose rating I only see improving if I ever decide to rewatch it.

***3/4

Shinya Hashimoto & Tatsumi Fujinami vs Genichiro Tenryu & Takashi Ishikawa-WAR 24.5.1993.
Man what more can I even write about these. There are times where I will laugh out loud at the preposterousness of the stiffness displayed and that is what this match managed to achieve. It also has some really smart limbwork that you initially think they might be doing just to take a break from all the shitbeating but it plays into the finish in a big way and it's awesome. One of my favourite bits here was when Fujinami initially entered he started *wrestling* with Ishikawa and I was all like "look Fuji, I love you but that is not what you do in these interpromotional tags* and then the second time he enters the ring he just unloads on Tenryu and starts slapping the taste out of his mouth and all is right in the world. The amazing finish has Hashimoto and Tenryu brawling all around the ring and after the match they dare each other to hit one another with their signature strikes/kicks which is awesome and totally makes sense in the context because the athletic competition they were trying to win in (okay not really but) is now over and the spite is overflowing in them and they're pissed off and just spouting macho bullshit at one another.

****1/4