Pro Wrestling Only

The Man They Call Vader

NintendoLogic

Guest Nell Santucci

Funnily enough, Vader NEVER worked this stiff in WWE, even against Ken Shamrock.

Don't see the humor in that, as I doubt Vince ever wants this mastodon beating up his wrestlers in a really brutal way.

I mean more in the sense of Vader's WWF work not standing out at all comparatively. He did a good but not great match with Bret Hart. He had an excellent match against HBK in 1996, though it wasn't close to MOTY candidate. And he did some excellent matches against Ken Shamrock. Their FMW match in Sep. 1997 is my favorite. None of his matches against Foley standout. His performance at Final Four was stellar. But all in all, he was a very different Vader than the ones in Japan and WCW. That 2000 match against Kobashi is better than practically anything he did in the company, with the exception possibly of his FMW Shamrock match. Just my opinion though.

• 5 months later...

Seeing Vader up close is terrifying. I was the the WCW show at Wembley where Vader dropped the belt to Sting. I was ringside and he nearly fell on me. I nearly shat myself. He had this air of legitimacy about him that was quite something else and something most American wrestlers no longer have.

I love Vader, but I sometimes think we can lose a sense of proportion. He was one of, if not THE lowest drawing WCW Champions in history. If that's a talking point against Shawn Michaels in WWF then it has to be a talking point against Vader as well to be fair. And unfortunately the crack WCW camera team (sarcasm) sometimes did him no favor. There are minor botches and errors in many Vader matches (The Spring Stampede 94 match for instance) that better camera work would have hidden.

I wonder what an in his prime Vader would have been like in WWF. Would Vince have, given his big man style, have allowed anyone to suplex and toss Vader the way Sting did?