Pro Wrestling Only

Haku

Superstar Sleeze

The Islanders vs The Killer Bees MSG 12/86

The Islanders have kidnapped Matilda from the Bulldogs as the Bulldogs have slipped to the #2 face team with Strike Force as the Tag Champs. Since the Islanders ended up losing their feud with the Strike Force in order to maintain their #2 heel status (behind the rising Demolition) they ran a program with the Killer Bees so they could collect some victories. The match was decent, but nothing fantastic it was just meant to reinforce the Islanders position on the card against the JTTS babyface tag team du jour of the WWF.

The shine segment is dominated by headlock attempts by the Bees. Tama is his usual excellent self as he tries to sucker Blair into shaking his hand going so far as to "crossing his heart, hope to die, stick in a needle in my eye" routine, but Tama telegraphs the kick too early and Blair hits an atomic drop and Brunzell claps Tama's ears. What the hell happened to Tama. He had so much natural heel charisma and he was no smaller than Savage. He could have had a short program with Hogan and had been a great asset in the upper midcard.

The Islanders take over on Blair when Haku hits a sweet back suplex out of a side headlock. The blandness of their match may result from the fact that I am writing Blair's name a lot more than Brunzell's name. Tama is really energetic in the heel heat segment with lots of choking and Haku add one his badass kicks to Blair's head. Blair, the most boring babyface ever, hits a couple flying forearms in there to flying get Jumpin Jim in there. Brunzell is a mild trash can fire which peaks with his dropkick and a beauty on Haku. He gets on the sleeper and end game commences. Blair chases Tama around the ring; Tama whacks Brunzell; ref holds Blair back; Tama hits the flying headbutt from the top on Haku and Haku is rolled on the victory.

It is the WWF so there is no reason for a clean heel victory. It only adds extra heat on the Islanders going into their Bulldogs feud to have the finish this way. It was a very decisive Islanders victory. The only real notable thing is how good Tama is at crowd interaction much better than the silent Haku and dont know what happened to him. Drugs? The other notable thing is B. Brian Blair could give Tom Zenk a run for his money in most bland wrestler.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Islanders vs Killer Bees - SNME 3/88

Heenan cracks me up with his Beekeeper Net and Dog Leash to start as him and Jesse play off each other really well. The whole thing that is really holding The Islanders back is their lampshade tights. Brunzell starts off hot with Tama hitting a leg drop and doing a sweet double wristlock takedown into a pin. Does Brunzell have any worthwhile WWF matches?

Brunzell misses his patented dropkick when Tama hooked the ropes. Tama heabutts, back rakes and a vertical suplexes his way to a pinfall attempt. A Haku dropkick gets a two and intimidates the ref with the threat of a fist. Brunzell gets an atomic drop in the Islanders' corner, but Tama is able to tag in Haku. Double clothesline and her comes Blair with an atomic drop and a pair of bodyslams. The endgame is Blair has Tama in a reverse victory roll, but Haku clothesline the prone Blair to pick up the victory.

For less than 5 minutes of action (it must have been edited because Brunzell ended up with a bloody nose and the Bees seemed sweatier than expected), this was pretty fun and once again keeps the Islanders push going. Cant wait for the Islanders/Bulldogs matches!

British Bulldogs vs The Islanders 12/87 Superstars

Islanders have no floral wallpaper tights and they already look more menacing. Bulldogs in and Matilda goes right after Heenan and Islanders. They are hot because Matilda wont let them back in the ring. Heenan insults the dog and leads a walk out in protest of that mangy mutt being out there. Then he hatches a plan to get back at the dog for embarrassing him. He distracts the Bulldogs allowing the Islanders to really do a number on the Bulldogs including a sweet shoulderbreaker by Haku. Islanders and Heenan make a fast getaway with Matilda. Those dastardly villains surely the Bulldogs will make them pay for this transgression!

-------------------------------------------

British Bulldogs vs The Islanders 1/88 MSG

I built up the expectations a little too high in my head for this match. I would have this top handful of WWF tags, but it does not touch the first Islanders/Strike Force. Still it is a very good match as the Bulldogs are red hot and the Islanders are showing a much more sadistic, arrogant side. I thought this was the first match, Haku really broke out of his shell and was delivering on the same level as Tama. I have grown to like Davey Boy a bit more than Dynamite and would have liked him to be the face in peril instead of Dynamite. However, Smith's segments at the beginning of the match felt really aimless and were not as tight and meaningful as Dynamite's.

Dynamite started this match off hot by attacking at the bell. Tama did his awesome bump back into the ring that someone needs to steal. Dynamite hit a wicked piledriver and then catapulted Tama into Haku. The Smith/Haku segment was decent in establishing two as equal, but I would have liked to see Smith mirror Dynamite's intensity. THEY STOLE MATILDA!!! Heenan has brought a dog collar and leash to remind them in true dick heel fashion. Smith worked a short heat segment off a quick attack by Haku during a tag exchange, which was pretty lame. Dynamite came in and re-energized everyone with his hooking clothesline and kneefrop. In his overzealousness, he ate a double chop from Haku in the corner.

I liked this heat segment from the Islanders. I wish there was a better face in peril in there though. They were constantly mocking Dynamite with the dog collar and leash during the restholds. Plus Haku was on fire this segment with his cool back suplex out of the side headlock spot and his sell of a Dynamite headbutt. It was Kawada-esque as he wobbled on jelly legs and fell on his add, but still prevented the tag. Haku was taunting as much as Tama and together they were garnering tons of heel heat. Dynamite hits a double clothesline on the Islanders.

Now here is the Davey Boy Smith I have come to love. Double-noggin knocker. Back body drop and then a big vertical suplex. Wicked piledriver, but broken up. Smith hits his big running powerslam and sees the other Islander and gives him a powerslam for good measure. The Garden is rocking. He grabs the leash and collar and starts beating teh Islanders with it drawing the DQ.

This had a good heat segment with a great finish. The first the third of the match could have been upgraded and I think with a better face in peril this match would have been a real hidden classic. As it stands, it is a match where the Bulldogs had vengeance on their mind, but got overzealous allowing the Islanders to capitalize. Then Islanders got cocky and handed the match over to the Bulldogs. The Bulldogs could not keep their composure to seal the deal. I think we need a rematch and what better place than Wrestlemania. Lets get that weasel, Bobby the Brain in there so he can take some lumps too!

----------------------------------------------------------

British Bulldogs & Koko B. Ware vs The Islanders & Bobby The Brain Heenan - Wrestlemania IV

I didn't like this nearly as much as the six-man from last year. The Brain never really got his comeuppance maybe it is to come in the MSG match, but that was a major downer because I was expecting the Brain to make more of an ass of himself. The Brain did ham it up by wearing an attack dog protection suit neutralizing Matilda.

Dynamite and Tama started the match off hot with Tama doing his signature bump and then bumping huge onto the ring post. Smith/Haku did their MSG exchange, but Smith added a crucifix pin. Ware came in with a dropkick and a beauty shades of "Jumpin" Jim Brunzell. There was a nice Ware side-headlock and headscissors combo take over by Ware. Koko is on par with Tama so far as MVP on this match as he has really added some energy. Dynamite eats a Haku foot in the corner. Jesse says that Heenan looks like a Chinaman. Its 1988, Baby!

Heenan gets some stomps in and Dynamite sells, but he runs for the hills as soon as Dynamite stirs. Ok, they are building for when Heenan gets his ass kicked. Tama had control, but got caught showboating and ate knees on a Vaderbomb attempt. Koko gets the tag and Irish whips Tama into Haku, but he sets too early and Haku makes him pay with a kick. Heenan comes in with a kneelift. It just feels like Heenan is just another heel wrestler instead of the special attraction heel to get his ass whipped. Heenan barley sells Koko's punches, but he does take the wicked Bret bump into the ring corner and then dropkicked into the post. He still feels like he is selling like a wrestler than a manager. It all breaks down and The Islander slam on top of Koko for the win?!?!?!?! Matilda attacks (read: Davey Boy foists and rubs Matilda all over) Heenan in his dog suit.

I loved the dog suit and the first five minutes were fun, but those last five minutes dragged. I really wanted to see the Bulldogs take it to Heenan, but nothing doing. I know Heenan would often wrestle as a sub for Bock or Stevens in the AWA. He was actually expected to wrestle not just be a over the top bumping stooge. In the WWF, he was in a different capacity and I think this match would have benefited him doing a lot more stooging. This was a very disappointing match.

---------------------------------------

The Islanders vs Demolition - MSG 2/87

Great match! Islanders started with some early doubling teaming to keep Demolition off balance. So that was not a Strike Force thing it seems that is something the Demos preferred to establish their strength and how babyfaces could still capitalize through superior teamwork. Ax/Tama have a good mat exchange with Tama getting the better of it. MSG seemed to dig the Islanders even though they were just a random ethnic babyface tag team at this time. This is the Demo's MSG debut. Haku begins to work on Ax's leg and some good babyface leg work follows. Lots of quick tags and follow up on Ax's leg that never drags. Tama tries to go toe to toe with Ax even in his weakened state that ain smart as he drives Tama head first into Smash's boot.

Smash throws Tama out to the floor hard. Tama takes the first of his two man-sized bumps when Ax whips him hard into the railing. The pugnacious Tama fights out of the corner and covers Ax only to pressed out to the floor in a fucking wicked bump. I am such an unabashed Tama mark at this point. What the hell happened to this guy?

Ax reverse elbow gets two and Tama bumped huge off that. Tama takes a wicked hot shot. Tama is a great face in peril and heel. I have feel bad he did not make it further. He kicks Ax, who sets too early and MSG is whistling. Haku is in and he is a HOUSE OF FIRE! Headbutts, Dropkick, big thrust kick DOUBLE HEADBUTTS! Tama high cross body only gets two on an Ax save. Donnybrook ensues, ref holds back Haku and Demolition Decapitation grabs the win for the Demos.

This is my favorite Demolition match so far and really reinforces how good the Islanders working both babyface and heel. Tama took some huge bumps and both Islanders had great offense throughout the match. Demolition were great for playing antithesis of the Islanders with all their strength and they worked hard to put over the Islanders moves and in turn Tama bumped huge for Demolition makes the Demos look like monsters.

The Islanders (Haku & Sivi Afi) & Bobby "The Brain" Heenan vs British Bulldogs & Koko B Ware - Philly 5/88

Wow, did this feud disappoint as this match was as much of a bore as the Bolsheviks match. The Heenan stuff with Koko at the beginning is what I wanted to see out of Heenan last match. Heenan cowering in the corner -> Koko lays down -> Heenan still apprehensive turns his back -> Koko catches him unawares and sends him into the opposite corner to take the Ray Stevens flip back-first bump. It was all down hill after that. Sivi Afi is a Superfly & High Chief Peter Maivia hybrid ripoff as he has Maivia's tats and Snuka's look. Afi is awkward and lumbering. It is no wonder he lasted for only a cup of coffee. The commentators believe that Sivi Afi is Haku and that Haku is Tama (Toma as it is pronounced). Then the commentators talk how the Bulldogs look like a like. O to be a wrestling commentator in the 80s or any era, actually. You never have to be proficient at your job.

Sivi Afi sucked it up in the ring. Haku/Dynamite do their little forearm exchange into a Dynamite headlock into a Haku side suplex, which always looks good. Dynamite hits a hooking clothesline to regain advantage, which in my opinion wastes one of the best spots of the match. It gets very heel in peril at this point with chinlocks. Koko, who is the best worker in this match again, does the best move of the match: a sweet reverse cross body that would make Ricky Martel jealous. Haku for his part jumped into it making it look even better.

Dynamite runs into a Haku clothesline and that is your weak, lazy transition to the heat segment where Sivi Afi is super awkward getting into position for anything. Dynamite took a dive to the outside got his head rammed into the railing by Haku and apron by Heenan. Haku hit a couple nice backbreakers while they worked over Dynamite's back and head. Heenan could be doing a lot more to get heat and to really the crowd excited to see him get his ass kicked...oh wait he does not.

Dynamite does an excellent block of Haku's suplex attempt with a leg scissors. He hit his suplex. Davey Boy came in hit a back body drop and vertical suplex. He just does not give a fuck anymore. Koko came in and hit two stellar dropkicks that would make Jim Brunzell jealous. His second one was really one of the best I have ever seen. A clusterfuck erupts; Heenan blind tagged himself in and with knucks knocked out Koko for the win. What the fuck?

I accidentally watched the Philly match instead of the MSG match, but the finish was the same according to History of the WWE site so I am not watching this borefest again. Bulldogs could not care less. Heenan was not really trying either. Haku was decent. Sivi was actively bad and Koko was pretty sweet. Bring on the Bulldogs/Demolition maybe a tag title shot will wake up the Bulldogs.

• 1 month later...

The Islanders vs "Ace" Bob Orton & "Magnificent" Don Muraco w/ Jimmy Hart & Mr. Fuji - 12/86 Primetime Wrestling

The Islanders are one of the best teams at getting the WWF style over with crowd as they are never boring during their shine segments and never letting them drift into heel in peril. Orton starts off Tama taking a karate shop wanders over to the wrong corner and Haku gives him a shot for his trouble. Here comes Muraco, who looks huge compared to everyone else. The crowd chants "Beach Bum!" Mr. Fuji no sells it so Jimmy Hart picks up the slack. Muraco gives Tama the "Up Yours" gesture. Haku with a dropkick sending Muraco into the corner where they pinball him. Eyerake by Muraco gives him a chance to tag in Orton. They really get the most out of the hard head gimmick. Orton powders to consult Hart. Tama avoids Orton who runs into Muraco as the crowd jeers the heels. Orton is able to execute a hotshot on Tama followed up by a huge right. "The tide has definitely gone out on the Islanders" - Jesse The Body. Jesse slays me as Vince is unimpressed. Chinlock by Muraco, but hits him with a clothesline then leg drop. Orton hits a nice dropkick and innovative knee to the body. Randomly Bruno just starts to talk after Haku saves Tama on a pinfall. Orton rammed into buckle and Tama gets a headbutt to the lower abdomen. No hot tag as Haku just comes in and they hit a double chop on Orton. Haku dropkicks Orton over the top rope and brings in Muraco the hard way and wraps up with the double noggin knocker. He makes the cardinal mistake of setting too early on back body drop and Orton catches with the boot. Muraco in with double knees to the head. Haku battles back, but lacks the charisma of Tama and it falls flat. Orton nonchalantly enters the ring allowing a red-hot Tama to come in. Tama cross bodies Orton over the top onto the floor. Melee ensues and the finsh is a double countout.

Plenty of action as the Islanders started off red hot. Orton regrouped was able to hotshot Tama and they took over with some great heel offense. The Islanders never sat in holds and really kept everything moving not letting it get bogged down into heel in peril. By the same token, the heels were good in this. I have always like Bob Orton and think every time I see him he has great offense and stooges well for babyfaces. Muraco is wicked hit and miss, but he plays his role great here and tag setting is somewhere he can excel without giving way to laziness tendencies. Haku still felt really green and had not yet learned how to interact with the crowd. It is incredible how good Tama is both as fired-up babyface and stooging heel.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

The Islanders vs Killer Bees - SNME 3/88

Heenan cracks me up with his Beekeeper Net and Dog Leash to start as him and Jesse play off each other really well. The whole thing that is really holding The Islanders back is their lampshade tights. Brunzell starts off hot with Tama hitting a leg drop and doing a sweet double wristlock takedown into a pin. Does Brunzell have any worthwhile WWF matches?

Brunzell misses his patented dropkick when Tama hooked the ropes. Tama heabutts, back rakes and a vertical suplexes his way to a pinfall attempt. A Haku dropkick gets a two and intimidates the ref with the threat of a fist. Brunzell gets an atomic drop in the Islanders' corner, but Tama is able to tag in Haku. Double clothesline and her comes Blair with an atomic drop and a pair of bodyslams. The endgame is Blair has Tama in a reverse victory roll, but Haku clothesline the prone Blair to pick up the victory.

For less than 5 minutes of action (it must have been edited because Brunzell ended up with a bloody nose and the Bees seemed sweatier than expected), this was pretty fun and once again keeps the Islanders push going. Cant wait for the Islanders/Bulldogs matches!

It was an edited down 2/3 falls match. The whole thing was shown on Primetime not long after.

I know this one! Tama was angry at his WM IV payoff and relative Sika's release and opted out. Sivi Afi I don't think was ever intended as a replacement and his idiotic performance (seriously does he not know he's a heel, he's with Bobby freaking Heenan) ruled out any chance of that happening.

For that matter why wasn't THAT match reshot? OR was this still when Vince would have been doing live commentary at the TV tapings (it's right around the time of the change)