Pro Wrestling Only

Voices of Wrestling - New Japan G1 Recaps

W2BTD

"Another amazing show from New Japan. This is shaping up as the greatest G1 in history. Two nights after Korakuen got Best Show of the Year buzz, Osaka tops it with multiple MOTY contenders and a red hot crowd. It’s starting to sound like a broken record, but go out of your way to watch this, particularly the Ishii/Shibata match onward. If you aren’t watching New Japan these days, you are missing out on a special place & time in the history of pro wrestling."

Night 4 in Osaka. Amazing show.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2013/08/0...s-itself-again/

The crowd, with the candlestick, in the conservatory:

"If you are behind on your G1 viewing, dont worry about this one. Move along, nothing to see here. I liked Davey Boy vs Okada best, but its hardy must see. Look, this thing has been beyond awesome so far. They werent all going to be winners. The crowd was horrendous, which did not help matters, but I can cut some of these guys a break for not killing themselves every single night. Its a hard tour."

G1 Night Five, full review here: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2013/08/0...commits-murder/

Sorry guys, I had to take a night off because the lack of sleep was catching up with me and I had important work conferences in the morning.

Rich from the site still put together a recap with some gifs, standings, and some english translations. This isn't a show review, so if you are looking for that you'll have to find it elsewhere. I'm watching the show now but I won't be reviewing for the site because it'll be old news by the time I publish it.

Anyway, here is Rich's recap: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2013/08/0...sults-kanagawa/

If you could just give us some cliff notes Joe on the matches to seek out once you watch that would be greatly appreciated.

-They added a tag team opener to fill the card after the Goto/Tenzan issues. It was better than it had any right to be, thanks to Honma who is great. I usually hate hate hate anything with Cpt. New Japan but this wasn't bad at all. YOSHI HASHI is such shit, and is getting out of shape to boot.

-The Ibushi/Yujiro match was the same match Ibushi has had all tournament when he's in a prelim. It was fine.

-Nagata/Anderson was the typical *** G1 match.

-Devitt match was the same riot style match he always has. You've been there, done that. Skip unless you love Devitt, or want to see him with the boxing gloves on taunting Shibata. I guess it was interesting seeing Shibata deal with the shenanigans, too.

-Okada/Ishii was the best match. Not Ishii's best stuff of the tournament (or Okada's, for that matter), but the best match here and worth watching.

-I really liked Tanahashi/Archer. After a great start, Archer cooled off the last few shows. He was back here. Lots of cool new stuff, playing off the idea that Tanahashi couldn't do a lot of his offense against the monster. Fun match.

-Suzuki/Shelton. Suzuki worked clean against his stablemate. Post match was something. Suzuki chased away the young boys who were helping Shelton, and demanded he get up on his own. When he finally did, Suzuki stuck a finger in his chest to tell him "you have heart". Then they FIST BUMPED. I loved this moment.

-Makabe/Kojima - Slowest pace of the night, but that's not meant to be a knock. Kojima is having one hell of a tournament. For that matter, so is Makabe. Most like this better than Okada/Ishii, I didn't, but it was good.

Overall, neck & neck with N2 & N5 for worst show. Nothing essential to see unless your a die hard. On the flip side, everything was really short and you can pound this out in roughly 90 minutes if you're creative.

I'm running out of words for these shows.

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2013/08/1...nother-classic/

"This sounds like a broken record, but another all time show for New Japan. I’ve run out of superlatives to describe what this company is doing. Tanahashi & Okada have surpassed every in ring rivalry ever, with the possible exception of Misawa/Kobashi, in terms of match quality. And all of the matches have taken place over the course of roughly one year. I have no more words for how good these two are together and have no idea how they can ever top this run.

This show was amazing. Do whatever it takes to see it."

I consider myself a hard marker, and have skewed low on some ratings compared to others throughout this thing, but Okada/Tanahashi was absolute perfection and the second 5-star match they've had this year. If you are into the style, you absolutely can not miss this show under any circumstances. Three to four 4-star matches, and the main event. I'm done with adjectives when it comes to this company. I have no more.

Guest TheGreatPuma

"This sounds like a broken record, but another all time show for New Japan. I’ve run out of superlatives to describe what this company is doing. Tanahashi & Okada have surpassed every in ring rivalry ever, with the possible exception of Misawa/Kobashi, in terms of match quality. And all of the matches have taken place over the course of roughly one year. I have no more words for how good these two are together and have no idea how they can ever top this run.

I consider myself a hard marker, and have skewed low on some ratings compared to others throughout this thing, but Okada/Tanahashi was absolute perfection and the second 5-star match they've had this year. If you are into the style, you absolutely can not miss this show under any circumstances. Three to four 4-star matches, and the main event. I'm done with adjectives when it comes to this company. I have no more.

Nice hyping. I'm sold. Can't wait.

Nice hyping. I'm sold. Can't wait.

I feel like i've been pretty fair in these reviews up to this point, ripping night 5 hard, giving "meh" reviews to nights 3 & 7, etc. I've been handing out lots of 3's when most are doling out the 4's left & right. Rereading my post, it sounds like an oversell, but holy shit was this show good. And a lot of people like the Ishii/Makabe match even better than Tanahashi/Okada.

I really tried to like the last Tanahashi v. Okada match and while I didn't hate it I also didn't think it was good. I have been following the VoW reviews and other reviews and it seems like day 8 is another show I should review in full like I did with day 3. Maybe Tanahashi/Okada will finally get over the hump with me

"Naito Forgets to Sell Knee, Wins G1"

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2013/08/1...-finals-review/

If you've been reading these things, you know I don't like Naito very much.

Anyway, the match was good thanks to incredible drama, off the charts heat, and Tanahashi.

Okada/Kojima was the best match, and don't sleep on that six man, because it rocked. Great show.

2, 4, 8, 9 are absolute must see shows. 5 & 7 are for hardcores only. The rest are good but not go-out-of-your-way good.