Pro Wrestling Only

Sean Waltman

Grimmas

I didn't see a thread on the Lightning/1-2-3 X-Syxx-Pac Kid, so I thought I would create one.

Looking back at his career it's really quite amazing. A lot of variety and had worked all over the place as a heel and a face.

I wanted to watch some of his matches and I started with this:

The set up to this was that Shawn & Diesel tried to take out Razor and the Kid stopped him and now Shawn wants to punish the Kid as revenge.

I originally was just going to watch this, because I had never seen it before, but it was so awesome I had to write about it. It starts off with the Kid destroying Michaels with some fun high flying and kicks. There is a few awkward moments, but just fun stuff. That includes a great flip from the ring to the floor. Later on the Kid tries another dive, but Shawn catches him and does an awesome powerslam on the floor. Shawn gets in control and just starts punishing the Kid with awesome back breakers. There is a great moment where the Kid tries to come back and goes for a move off the top, but Shawn hits a great dropkick in mid air to stop that. The Kid tries another comeback with a kick counter to a submission and then a spin kick for a close near fall. They run into each other going off the ropes for a double knockout spot. The Kid's punches kind of suck, but he quickly goes back to his awesome kicks. Including a great spinning kick while Shawn is sandwiched in the corner. A moonsault bodyblock almost finishes Shawn off. Kid goes back on top for a cannonball, but Michaels moved. Commercial break and we are back and Shawn hits a superkick and then he destroys the Kid with the Razor's Edge, but picks him up instead of pinning him. Which follows the story of punishing the Kid. He gives him another Razor's Edge and then Razor comes out to stop the third one. Shawn slaps Razor and then he runs away leading to the Kid winning by countout. Diesel knocks out Razor from behind the curtain and Shawn just attacks Razor with awesome punches and then gives Razor the Razor's Edge on the floor.

A real fun match with a good story and awesome high spots that were all pretty well placed in the story of the match. Definitely recommended. Shawn was also better in 1993 then I remember. I guess the SummerSlam Perfect match soiled my memories of him at the time. [*** 1/2]

Yes.

His indy work and initial WWF run as the Kid was the stuff of legend. His career never recovered from nWo Syxx, despite some big moments with D-X.

Some personal favorites:

Sabu vs. The Lightning Kid (NWA - 4-17-93)

123 Kid vs. Blake Beverly (RAW - 5-7-93)

123 Kid. vs. Owen Hart (KOTR - 6-19-94)

123 Kid vs. Bret Hart (WWF Championship, RAW - 7-11-94)

123 Kid vs. Owen Hart (RAW - 8-15-94)

123 Kid & Razor Ramon vs. Shawn Michaels & Diesel (Action Zone - 10-30-94)

123 Kid vs. Hakushi (SummerSlam - 8-7-95)

Is there a good comp out there that includes his stuff from PWA/GWF with Jerry Lynn?

Is there a good comp out there that includes his stuff from PWA/GWF with Jerry Lynn?

Not sure, but a comp covering his whole career would be pretty awesome. As X-Pac he still had a lot of good stuff.

there's a 27 disc set I picked up a while back (not sure who did it) that covers indy,gwf,Japan,wwf,wcw, & wwe stuff

he is one of the guys I feel was over looked a lot during his career, he had awesome matches against Chaz, Jerry Lynn, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Scott Hall, Chris Jericho, Rey Mysterio, Dead Malinko ect... that just names a few, very underrated talent

• 4 weeks later...

I had never seen this before, but damn was it awesome! It starts with the Kid doing a real fun shine sequence, including his dropkick after being thrown in the air. The real fun is Blake's killing of the Kid using a suplex into the turnbuckle, a gorilla press to the floor and an Oklahoma Stampede. He does a wicked strut too.

The Kid is one of the best at doing hope spots. He is so sympathetic when working as the underdog babyface. It's a real treat to watch. The Kid starts his comeback when Blake misses a dive to the floor. The Kid does his own dive to the floor, a somersault from the top turnbuckle which just looks devastating. The Kid then wins with a flying legdrop.

As good as a sub 8 minute TV match with no storyline as you'll see.

Barry Horowitz & Reno Riggins are picked by The Quebecers for a title shot, however Riggins has the flu and The Kid fills in for him. The Quebecers remain very confident.

Barry & The Kid show great fire at the beginning throwing dropkicks and firing up. The Quebecers have a conference to regroup and this starts a big FIP session on The Kid with their cool double teams. The Kid sells a great beating. So many cool double teams. Jacques finally misses a dive and The Kid gets in a kick. The Kid is really one of the best wrestlers at working in hope spots. Pierre interferes to keep the advantage and it looks like Jacques is out cold. The stretcher comes out to take Jacques away, so it's now a handicap match. A weird format here as the underdog tag team now have the advantage, so it may be even?

A tag was made during the commercial break. As we come back Pierre is destroying Horowitz. Still confident he picks up Horiwitz at the two count. Pierre continues and throws Horiwitz into the corner to get The Kid in. The beat down continues on The Kid. Another great hope segment as The Kid hits a few spinning kicks, before missing one and his momentum carries him over the top rope to the floor. Johnny Polo throws The Kid into the ring for the pin.

Another really fun match with Barry doing nothing and it being completely built on The Quebecers double teams and The Kid's selling and hope spots. I really enjoyed this one.

Is his match with Jerry Lynn from, I think, 2011, available online anywhere, is it any good?

I have a FIP match vs Austin Aries from 2005 buried somewhere - could be fun!

I remember loving the little run X Pac had during the summer of 2001 - his match against Taijiri from Summerslam in particular stood out at the time, were there any other highlights? I remember the Kidman match from the ppv being OK and a match where RVD countered the X Factor by doing the splits...

1-2-3 Kid & Marty Jannetty vs. The Quebecers (Raw, 1994.1.10)

1-2-3 Kid & Marty Jannetty vs. The Quebecers (MSG, 1994.1.17)

So it turns out that Jannetty & The Kid make a great tag team and great foils for The Quebecers. This is the two title changes with the first one being a surprise upset on Raw and the second one with The Quebecers winning the belts back.

The Raw match is amazing (*** 3/4) with a long shine sequence at the start, because Kid & Jannetty were underestimated. They even get a pin, but a second ref sees The Quebecer with his leg on the ropes. The Quebecers finally cheap and just destroy the Kid, until a hot tag which leads right to the win. The Macho Man loses his shit and leaves the announcer's table to celebrate.

One week later they square off at MSG. It follows the same format with a long shine sequence and an extended FIP, but this time on Jannetty. Martry is really good in this role, but doesn't have quite the sympathy that The Kid has. He does take a hell of a 360 flip on a clothesline though. The extended FIP really made the crowd go insane for the hot tag. Kid does all his awesome kicks, only to get tripped by Johnny Polo on the top rope, stopping his momentum. Leading to The Quebecers using their finish for the win.

I liked the Raw tag better, because the story made a little more sense that Kid & Jannetty caught Quebecers off guard. I'd say *** 1/2 for the rematch.

A really good pair of matches though and I really wish that they kept The Kid with Jannetty for a little longer. They looked great as a tandem at the Survivor Series too.

The Bret Hart Raw match is one of my favourite ever Raw matches.

Kid / Razor vs Shawn / Diesel was amazing.

When he got released from the WWE in 02, he seemed to have somthing o pove on the indy circuit. I remember the fist match he had was with Sabu (the two not having met since their tape trader 93 classic) and it was a belter of a match!