Pro Wrestling Only

Upcoming WWE DVD releases

Loss

This November, WWE is releasing the following on DVD

Screwed: The Bret Hart Story (3 discs)

WWE Legends - Jake "The Snake" Roberts (3 discs)

Ultimate Warrior DVD (unsure how many discs)

Wrestlemania I-XXI box set

The entire WM box set can be purchased for $299.95 at suggested retail, or you can purchase 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20 for $69.95 each.

At this point, Bret is not involved in production of the DVD. If he is, he'll most likely want the name changed. Bret and Vince *are* back on speaking terms again though, with WWE wanting rights to Bret's upcoming books on his career. If it gives you any indication how extensive they'll be, he's already written 850 pages and he's only in the mid-80s. Anyway, WWE wants rights to the books because (a) they know they'll be the best selling books in Canada and (B) they want to neuter certain aspects of the books. I can't see Bret agreeing to that, considering that the books will sell well with or without WWE promotion, and the only way I *could* see him agreeing is if the agreement is made that he won't be edited by WWE.

The Warrior DVD is also being made without Warrior. He wanted to be a part of the DVD initially, but he and Vince came to a disagreement when he wanted to include an insert in all the DVDs advertising his shoot interview. WWE didn't feel this would benefit them at all and the deal was called off. So he'll probably still get royalties on this for using his face and image, but he won't directly be a part of the set at this point.

This is all the info I've been able to collect scanning various message boards, and I can't vouch for any of it, but every bit of it seems plausible.

Guest teke184

In addition to the above, they're also porting "Hard Knocks: The Chris Benoit Story", "The Monday Night War: WWE vs. WCW", and a few other non-PPV titles to the UMD video format, which are played in the PSP handheld machine.

The Bret set has the potential to be great IF they show a lot of his matches and keep the original commentary (IE- no overdubbing of Ventura commentary with Coach and Vince) and if they can limit the Bret Screwed Bret shit to the vignettes between matches.

Jake's career doesn't seem like it really COULD span 3 DVDs unless they cut a deal with Kevin Von Erich, Bill Watts' ex-wife, and Mike Graham to pick up old footage from World Class, Mid-South/UWF, and Florida.

If they pull off 3 DVDs using only WWF footage and Jake's brief WCW run in 1992 and make it watchable, I'll be impressed.

As for Warrior's DVD, I'm not sure how this will work out unless they have people dogging Warrior right and left, and even then it would be hard to make it stretch across multiple DVDs.

Guest MJHimJfadeaway23

I want Bret involved in the DVD, just to see his perspective on specific matches/angles etc...Hopefully they can work it out.

Guest Some Guy

Ideally Bret would be involved in the discs but his thoughts on most the of the matches that will be included are available in his shoot interviews.

I'm guessing that will get the following matches, give or take a few:

Harts/Bulldogs (Tag title win)

Harts/Demolition (Tag title win)

Bret/Henning (SS 91)

Bret/Piper (WM 8)

Bret/Flair (WWF title win)

Bret/Owen (WM 10)

Bret/Yoko (WWF title win)

Bret/Backlund (title loss)

Bret/Nash (WWF title win)

Bret/HBK (Iron Man)

Bret/Austin (Survivor Series 96)

Final Four

Bret/Austin (WM 13)

Bret/Taker (ONe Night Only or Summerslam 96)

Bret/HBK (Survivor Series 97)

Bret/Flair (Souled Out 98?)

Bret/Benoit (Owen Match)

Bret/Benoit (WCW title win)

Bret/Goldberg (Starcade 99)

I'll buy the Jake and Warrior DVDs, but I really can't figure out what Warrior matches they could use beyond the Hogan match and the two Savage matches.

I read at WO.com that the WM discs will be realeased in sets of 5 as well and of course 11-15 are packaged together, which means that I'll have two copies of WM 15 on DVD.

I'd really be disappointed if the Warrior DVD was nothing but people goofing. Yeah he's a nutball but at one point the company thought enough of him to put him over Hogan (when that still meant something big) and make him their champion.

I heard that not only was there an extra feature of people goofing, but pretty much everyone interviewed for the main feature saying how dumb the Warrior was.

I tend to believe it since Warrior had the nerve to actually demand Vince honor the contracts he signed, then actually changed his name to Warrior so Vince couldn't keep him from using the name.

We all know how forgiving Vince is towards people who got one over on him, and Warrior's steadfastly refused to return to WWE to kiss McAss so I wouldn't be surprised to see the DVD be a burial job.

Guest teke184

He probably did.  Rude was a bad motherfucker and had a big contract with WCW.

Rude was playing everything close to the vest once he screwed up his neck in 1994.

He was a hostile witness at Vince's trial in 1994 and tried to be as non-committal as possible when asked anything that would hurt Vince's chances at an acquittal.

Guest Some Guy

I was thinking more about late 90-the back injury in 94. Didn't he sue Vince over money for cards that he was advertised on but didn't appear on?

Guest teke184

I was thinking more about late 90-the back injury in 94.  Didn't he sue Vince over money for cards that he was advertised on but didn't appear on?

I don't remember if he sued but I do remember that he told Vince that he expected to get more money while he was injured if they were going to advertise him while he was injured.

I think Vince's response was pretty much "Here's a dollah-twentyfive and go fuck yourself", at which point Rude walked out. I think he spent much of the year in Japan until his no-compete clause ran out, at which point he came in as the WCW Phantom at Halloween Havoc 1991.

I think Rude WAS smart enough to know that he'd probably have to work for Vince, although Rude also had a habit of leaving promotions with little notice.

(He left Mid-Atlantic while he was a tag champ in 1987, he left the WWF in late 1990 or early 1991 while he was injured, he got released from the WWF and showed up on Nitro the next night IIRC, etc.)

Guest Some Guy

He was never signed to a contract by WWF in 97 so hie signed a 3 year deal with WCW and appeared on a taped Raw and live Nitro on the same night.

Guest teke184

Whats the deal about a Horsemen DVD I keep hearing about?

It's never been officially announced, but it seems like a natural one to do considering that Flair, Arn, Benoit, and Malenko all work for the WWE and Tully Blanchard has done interviews for Confidential and the video releases before.

The only problem would be that Vince historically hasn't gotten along with some of the people who were members at important times.

Those include Ole Anderson, who's been pissed at Vince since 1984, and Lex Luger, who Vince has been pissed at since 1995. We're talking serious bad blood here.

Guest teke184

Ole I understand, but what did Lex do to piss Vince off besides sucking with the whole Lex Express  thing?

He jumped to WCW with no notice in 1995 to be on the first Nitro.

Lex's contract expired and Vince hadn't resigned him yet, so he bolted when he got a guaranteed deal from WCW.

He didn't even tell Vince he was leaving... Vince found out by watching Nitro and seeing Luger show up to challenge Hogan.