Pro Wrestling Only

Unanswered Questions II

sek69

I haven't watched the Road Warriors DVD yet, but in the promos they always show clips from the "drunk Hawk" angle when they mention Hawk's real problems. Is WWE trying to suggest that angle was a shoot now?

Why doesn't Vince realize that calling guys up that everyone says aren't ready is the most counterproductive thing you can do?

What do you think the over/under is on Heyman getting himself thrown out of OVW? I can't see him not blowing up the first time a pet project of his gets called up to WWE and ruined.

If Brock goes to SD when he signs, you think JBL will stiff him because he's been disrespectful of wrestling?

The Boogeyman. Honestly, what the fuck?

Will WWE ever include a decent non-WWE match on a DVD of someone who actually had good matches outside of WWE? Outside of the Flair set, I can't recall of any.

Guest cawthon777

I haven't watched the Road Warriors DVD yet, but in the promos they always show clips from the "drunk Hawk" angle when they mention Hawk's real problems. Is WWE trying to suggest that angle was a shoot now?

No.

Will WWE ever include a decent non-WWE match on a DVD of someone who actually had good matches outside of WWE? Outside of the Flair set, I can't recall of any.

Rock 'n' Roll Express vs. Andersons ... Magnum TA vs. Tully ... Lawler vs. Von Erich ...

Rock 'n' Roll Express vs. Andersons ... Magnum TA vs. Tully ... Lawler vs. Von Erich ...

Those were on specialty sets (best cage matches and stars of the 80s). I'm talking about the DVDs devoted to one wrestler exclusively.

Answers after the "-"s...

- Nope. They actually moreless mentioned on the DVD how it took Hawk courage to play the role he did. I wouldn't call it a shoot. As fucked up as Hawk was, I don't recall him ever being suicidal. On that note, fuck Vince Russo.

Why doesn't Vince realize that calling guys up that everyone says aren't ready is the most counterproductive thing you can do?

- For the sake of saying, "Look! I can still create talent!"

What do you think the over/under is on Heyman getting himself thrown out of OVW? I can't see him not blowing up the first time a pet project of his gets called up to WWE and ruined.

- 6 months.

If Brock goes to SD when he signs, you think JBL will stiff him because he's been disrespectful of wrestling?

- Not if he's smart. Lesnar could kill him in a shoot.

- I think it was the DVDVR guys who mentioned this, but he's make a good foil for Eugene. Really, though, that's it.

- Off the top of my head:

* The cage matches already mentioned.

* Rob Van Dam DVD (if you're a fan of his stuff, particularly the Jerry Lynn matches)

* Rey Mysterio DVD (HH 97 match, BB 96 match w/Psychosis, etc.)

* Eddie Guerrero DVD (HH 97 match, AAA When Worlds Collide tag match, FB 97 match v. Jericho, etc.)

* Chris Benoit DVD (Nitro match vs. Guerrero, Japan matches vs Liger, Guerrero, Sasuke, Owen tribute match vs. Hart, etc.)

Probably a couple others I'm forgetting too.

I think WWE sees "truth" as nothing more than "convenience". They'll sell you the bill of goods they need you to buy at that very moment. Perhaps that's why their audience doesn't trust them to properly blow off things that start off promising anymore.

I don't know that it's Vince, since he doesn't really see these guys in OVW. I think it's more of a Talent Relations thing, and John Laurinitis is constantly looking for big guys because he knows that's what Vince likes, and he thinks that the more of them he can produce, ready for the spotlight or not, the more likely Vince is to think he's doing his job well. Vince is in so many ways a puppet, with everyone around him having mastered the art of manipulating him to promote their own self interests. At least that's the impression I get from the outside in, and those who've been on the inside have said the same. It amazes me how self-preservationist nearly everyone working in WWE is, but I think Vince likes the atmosphere that way honestly.

I don't think it'll last long, even *if* Heyman is a good boy. Stephanie doesn't like him, but he seems to have a halfway decent relationship with Vince, which is the only reason they keep finding things for him to do. That, and they know that he could book competition for them reasonably well if someone else picked him up.

Probably not. Main event guys seem to be immune to that sort of thing.

I'm sure someone in WWE thinks it's funny. Vince probably laughed at something suggested, so the writers decided to go with it to impress him.

Here's some others:

In the Lawler - Von Erich match, Jerry mentions that Kerry kept his blade in the sleeve of his ring robe and sliced his arm. So was Kerry coked up or just a dumbass? He had a pretty established track record for both.

When Ax was being phased out of Demolition, it was due to health problems. Considering he still wrestles indies from time to time was Vince just pushing him out the door?

Whatever happened to Buddy Roberts from the Freebirds? I know he battled cancer a few years ago but I haven't heard anything for a while.

In the Lawler - Von Erich match, Jerry mentions that Kerry kept his blade in the sleeve of his ring robe and sliced his arm. So was Kerry coked up or just a dumbass? He had a pretty established track record for both.

Neither would surprise me, but I'm honestly not sure. I might try to seek out some details on that whole fiasco that was SuperClash III soon, because I've always wanted to know more about it.

When Ax was being phased out of Demolition, it was due to health problems. Considering he still wrestles indies from time to time was Vince just pushing him out the door?

I'll check on this, but if I had to guess, it's probably that he couldn't maintain the schedule required at the time with his injuries, but perhaps he's still good for the occasional match. He was a hell of a worker in his younger days as Masked Superstar.

I'd like to know about the booking of that match myself. It sure seemed to change once the blood started flowing, not to mention I can't imagine Lawler (who's been in some of wrestling's bloodiest brawls) involved in a match where the finish was blood stoppage.

*on edit* To clarify, I'm not saying they changed who was winning or anything, but they seemed to go home earlier than the pace would suggest.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

As far as the Boogeyman goes, Vince apparantly likes his cartoon heel appeal and it supposedly reminds him of...Zeus.

Guest teke184

Neither would surprise me, but I'm honestly not sure. I might try to seek out some details on that whole fiasco that was SuperClash III soon, because I've always wanted to know more about it.

I'll check on this, but if I had to guess, it's probably that he couldn't maintain the schedule required at the time with his injuries, but perhaps he's still good for the occasional match. He was a hell of a worker in his younger days as Masked Superstar.

From the various versions of the story that Lawler, Gary Cappetta, and others have told, Kerry had his fingers taped up to blade and, when his arm started itching, he went to scratch it without thinking and ended up cutting himself pretty bad.

This probably falls into the "dumbass" category more than "coked up", but I think it was really a case of him being on auto-pilot and not realizing that he was scratching with his blade-hand.

At least one pitcher in baseball did something similar in a game. During the early 80s, a pitcher had illegally taped a thumbtack to one of his fingers and was using it to cut the ball.

After he was caught by an umpire, he wiped his brow with the tack hand while he was leaving the field, which left a pretty bad cut on his forehead.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

Ive got some.

Did Bryan "Crush" Adams ever have successful run as any character?

Why did Tazz stop wrestling?

Ok... you're at a party/club/social gathering of some sort, the only girls there are the four remaining diva search constestant (Elisabeth,Krystal,Leyla, and Ashely), youve got the pick of the litter. Which one do you try to "holla" at and why?

Guest teke184

Ive got some.

Did Bryan "Crush" Adams ever have successful run as any character?

Why did Tazz stop wrestling?

Ok... you're at a party/club/social gathering of some sort, the only girls there are the four remaining diva search constestant (Elisabeth,Krystal,Leyla, and Ashely), youve got the pick of the litter. Which one do you try to "holla" at and why?

1. Crush had a successful run as "Kona" Crush in early 1993, although his feud with Doink The Clown killed that.

Goddamn "double clown" angle...

As for Tazz, he got an announcer's slot shortly after Lawler left in 2001 and wrestled on and off after that. Sometime in 2002, though, he retired from the ring and started announcing full-time, as it was a secure gig for him by then and it beat having to get his ass whipped by Austin on a weekly basis.

Tazz stopped wrestling because he fucked his neck up in ECW, and don't think it healed right. He mentioned somewhere that he wanted to wrestle on the ECW PPV but his neck just wouldn't let him.

I got a copy of Greatest Wrestling Stars of the 80s with the SuperClash match, and you can see Kerry reaching into the sleeve of his robe and immediately getting this "oh shit" look on his face when he realized what he did.

Watching the match, it does seem like the finish was rushed as if there was some legit concern about how much Kerry was bleeding since he went zero-to-Crimson-Mask in seconds.

Guest Cam Chaos

Not true. He mentions on the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD he had surgery after the spike piledriver mishap and that time out helped him develop the the idea of Taz coming back as serious and pissed off.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

Um, none of you answered the third question.

How successful was Kona Crush? I just remember it being damn silly. But I guess he was a goof midcard babyface.

Guest teke184

Um, none of you answered the third question.

How successful was Kona Crush? I just remember it being damn silly. But I guess he was a goof midcard babyface.

Kona Crush was starting to get over and could have been established as a strong babyface in place of Lex Luger, but someone got the bright idea to have him look like a douche in a feud against Doink then turn him heel.

Not that he was a draw or anything, but he had potential that was pissed away for reasons that no one seems able to explain that, for once, were NOT his fault.

Guest Bruiser Chong

Getting absolutely destroyed by Yokozuna in the summer of 1993 helped put the final nail in that gimmick's coffin. I'm not sure if by that point they had given up on the character and decided for the heel turn later that fall, but him coming up short against Yoko was his final act as a face.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alfdogg

How did Warrior and Bulldog leave in 1992. The way I heard it was Warrior left because they wanted him to feud with Nailz and Bulldog was just leaving until the steroid scandal blew over. But people at TSM are telling me OMG YOUR STUPID TEHY GOT FIRED 4 STERIODS~~~

So basically I need someone to prove me right