Pro Wrestling Only

[2014-01-19-PWX] A.J. Styles vs Cedric Alexander

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

I really loved the first twenty minutes of this and I'm impressed at how Styles has changed his style since the last time I saw him in 2005. He works basic holds and does mat exchanges far more than I expected based on past history. Then they started doing all the schmancy moves and this just lost me. The overly fancy backbreaker from Alexander didn't look very good to me even if it was properly executed. I'm glad to see this side of Styles, but I wish he wasn't wrestling someone who wrestles like he did a decade ago. And I'm sorry but calling a move COD: Concussion On Delivery in 2014 is pretty aloof. Good match that I'm glad I saw in spite of the flaws toward the end. Let's hope we get Styles in the ring with someone who has a strong ground attack.

• 2 months later...

The story coming in was Cedric Alexander had been successfully winning indie dream matches for PWX and AJ was the next dream match in his series. These two put on a good wrestling match that showcased AJ Styles abilities. The mat wrestling at the beginning was smooth and far better than what your traditional indie main event would bring. AJ takes some big bumps including falling between the bottom two ropes flat on his back. The indie spottiness of the end did not bother me as I appreciate that stuff for what it is. Alexander throws everything and the kitchen sink at AJ to put his shoulders to the mat for the pin, but AJ won't stay down. Cedric's sell on the pele kick is awesome. He slowly moves to the ropes completely out of it then just falls back on the ropes to prop himself up. Country Jack interferes to setup the Styles Clash which I don't mind since it should, in theory, setup a future feud for Alexander. This was worth your time as it is pretty good. ***1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2014-01-19-PWX] A.J. Styles vs Cedric Alexander