Pro Wrestling Only

Dusty's role in WWE Creative

sek69

As reported earlier today, WWE.com has reported that Dusty Rhodes has joined the creative team. PWInsider.com's Mike Johnson is saying that he will be replacing Dave Lagana on the Smackdown creative team, with Lagana transfering into a higher-paid, higher-titled position in Shane McMahon's new media division. The new position will require less travel and likely less burnout and politics.

Lagana will help Dusty transition by the end of October, and stay on as a consultant to the creative team. Lagana became head SD writer after his mentor Paul Heyman was removed in February 2003.

After meeting with Stephanie McMahon a few weeks ago, and signing a WWE Legends contract, the move to the creative team greatly increases the chance that Dusty will be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame at Wrestlemania -- something he turned down this year due to his work with TNA and not wanting to be overshadowed by Hogan. Plans are also in the works for a DVD.

Credit: Mike Johnson, PWInsider.com

To me this is a good thing. Dusty, for all the bashing he gets, comes up with some entertaining stuff. By most accounts, Dave Lagana was the guy who shit on any idea that was brought to him by a wrestler, and you'd have to think Dusty won't do that.

I don't know, Dusty is regarded as one of the worst pro wrestling bookers of all time. Whenever he get control of the book, he puts himself in many cases ahead of the other talent. I'm in the process of reading Sex, Lies, and headlocks, and it's even noted in there.

NWA, WCW, TNA, and now WWE? Remember, Dusty Rhodes was responsible for the "Lost in Cleveland" Cactus Jack vignetts. Ask RD Reynolds at wrestlecrap about Dusty Rhodes and he'll give you all the Wrestlecrap you can "Dream" of.

Let's just see what happens. But the news I hear is that he wants to have one more match with Flair. The guy aint even there, and it starts already! lol.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

They've gone through countless writers in the past 5 years and none of them have done dick to improve the production. Why should this be any different? The WWE Writing Team, as long as Steph is at the helm, is doomed.

Removing Dave Lagana is the key. It doesn't really matter if Dusty ever has one good idea, getting Lagana off the main staff will likely improve morale since he pushes the lame ideas and shits on anything the boys think of for themselves.

Removing Steph is the key because then it means Vince acknowledges the shoddy writing during her time as director of creative. As long as she is around, the process in which she oversees will continue to produce bad television.

That they want to make "better use" of Lagana by having him be a screen writer for them means they actually _liked_ his work, so no actual changes will be implemented in his leave. Dusty will have little to no effect simply because the system will crush him.

She oversees both shows too, doesn't she? I also remember reading that HHH was officially a part of the creative team now, so what role does he play into things?

It's like, I remember reading that WWE had fourteen writers. With Dave leaving and Dusty filling his spot, they'd still have fourteen...only now Trips fits in there too. So we have fourteen writers that then present it to Steph, whom Trips has the ear of, then it has to go through Vince too all before it gets the green light?

No wonder good ideas get the axe. They have upwards of twenty people that could not like an idea.

HHH has been a writer for years. At least since 2002.

I don't even know how the WWE even has a writing "team" considering how simple writing for wrestling is.

Two (or more) guys are fighting. So, why are they fighting?

Now, most people here would say "to become champion (someday)", because in football teams war with each other to go to the Superbowl, in Hockey it is for the Stanley Cup; and people buy the desire to become a champion. But considering the state of the titles in the WWE, it's clear that most WWE writers would say "shampoo commercial".

HHH has been a writer for years.  At least since 2002.

I know he's had influence, I just thought they finally made it official. Was I misinformed?

I don't even know how the WWE even has a writing "team" considering how simple writing for wrestling is.

I always just figured it was because they could blame someone new each day of the week and then the writers only get blamed for shit twice a month. :)

Two (or more) guys are fighting.  So, why are they fighting?

Some good ones, other than titles, that WWE seems to like are fighting over a woman (which I don't think is bad) and fighting over...that's all I got. Jealousy? Like when a tag team member thinks his partner is more successful or whatever. That tends to work.

Now, most people here would say "to become champion (someday)", because in football teams war with each other to go to the Superbowl, in Hockey it is for the Stanley Cup; and people buy the desire to become a champion.  But considering the state of the titles in the WWE, it's clear that most WWE writers would say "shampoo commercial".

Well, we all know WWE can't do anything that would allow people to compare it with legitimate sports. :)

Michael Landsberg: You're on the writing team.

HHH: Yes.

(Paraphrased from an Off The Record interview before WM 18.)

Now, how much HHH writes for others (probably very little) and for himself (probably very much) is another story. But he has been an active part of the writing team for a while now.

I can't believe they haven't done a "Student vs. Teacher" storyline in forever. A Benoit/Benjamin storyline like that would have ruled all.