Pro Wrestling Only

Place to Be Podcast Episode 316: SummerSlam 2002

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott head into the Vintage Vault for SummerSlam 2002. They talk about Rey Mysterio, Ric Flair, Chris Jericho, Edge, Shawn Michaels, Brock Lesnar and much more.

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott and Justin because it is time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

Scott's gimmick as the guy that doesn't "get" it is great though. I love it. Especially when he's dropped in the middle of a panel that pretty much sees eye to eye on A LOT of universal ideas and accepts a common consensus.

Scott can chime in with his enjoyment of all things Ascension or Triple Haitch, and it gets over huge with me. Intentionally or unintentionally, it's amusing and entertaining. Whether he's kayfabing us all or not even keyed into it himself, I don't know. Hell, I don't wanna know. It creates talking points & makes for good listening. :D

The Jewish voices is the legit funniest part of any of the 316 episodes and i've heard them all. You both killed it and all i could picture was Kyle's cousin Kyle from South Park. If you dont know what i'm talking about you have to youtube it. Maybe a new Kosher update is in the works?

Haha. Yes. The latest episode of Main Event is a fun one, for sure.

Scott is turning into quite the character. He's the heel Authority on his own show at this point, playing off snarky insider "newz" and the rumor mills to generate his own little furnace o' heat. It's neat, and it makes for interesting discussion.

Amusing to hear Scott rip on Mojo Rawley's truly TERRIBLE gimmick, mere moments after praising an act like the Ascension. The team itself is okay. Their work is decent enough. They fill the bill as big, brutish brawlers just fine. But their gimmick is so undefined and vague that I don't really see them getting far with it. They need some streamlining before getting a call-up, or they'll sink like stones up on the main roster.

What are they meant to be? The Brood Lite? Diet Ministry of Darkness? Wyatt Family Zero? Because none of those sound especially appealing in this day and age. I can't see them scoring with much of a connection to the crowd in THIS current capacity.

I'm seeing more & more that Chad Campbell was right on target when he referenced the Scott litmus test. He can feast on WWE news & rumors or drool over hearing about some tabloid garbage with Randy Savage and Steph, but he's quick to cast aside Kalisto as just some "schlub" under a mask or whatever. Yikes.

Really enjoyed the deeper look into some of the NxT cast as well. If the suggested gimmick change for Mojo Rawley ever sees the light of day, that would be SUPREMELY awesome.

Glad to hear more level-headed and balanced discussion on guys like Generico as well. The Breeze and Charlotte hype is still a little over-inflated. Don't get me wrong. I expect great things for both, but they're clearly riding a wave of goodwill that stems from recent performances and little else. In a few months' time, I think they'll be worthy of a more in-depth analysis - similar to what we got for Sami here.

I'm digging the Chikara in-jokes and whatnot. I like how they've RAPIDLY sort of become a piece of Main Event canon now.

Anybody else hear a slightly sloshed Owen Wilson when Graham speaks? Seriously. Let the Wedding Crasher get hammered, hand him a headset, fill his noggin with a lifetime of wrestling nerdism, and his voice is Graham.