Pro Wrestling Only

What Makes a Heel Fan?

ceejay519

When the babyface is outside the ring and the Ref is slow on the county or ignoring the count, starting to loudly count for a Count Out. :)

When the babyface is punching, yelling at the ref that it's a Closed Fist!

All sorts of shit to playfully give the babyface fans a hard time. But always being willing to bump and stooge when your Heel starts getting his ass kicked. You're not trying to start a riot, or really piss the face fans off. You let them get one over on you when the Face comes back against the Heel.

Or at least I did, and if I found myself around other heel fans, we all generally played it that way. It's a two hour show... you can't no sell when they're trying to have fun back, so you got to bump for them. :)

Oh, I did all that at a house show last month. It's basically being a kayfabe fan of cheating. Like an 80's Pistons fan, lol. At that show all the little kids near us got a kick out of it and loved rubbing it in when the good guy won. They enjoyed it.

Now, the two grown men near us who tried to start a fight with me and my pal after the show......

A point brought up during the DVDVR AWA project was how often the faces in the AWA cheated and got away with it. That in itself probably swayed a lot of people in the area to cheer the heels over time. A lot of the old time AWA guys I talk to definitely had a heel preference in their tastes.

Bruiser & Crusher did not alter their styles at all when they officially turned good in early 1965. Their opponents changed. Their brawling tactics did not. They cheated just as much or maybe even more as good guys. This became the model for AWA face turns from Larry Hennig to Ray Stevens to Mad Dog Vachon to Jerry Blackwell. Nick Bockwinkel was one of the only exceptions. There was no way he could cheat as much as a good guy without Heenan in his corner. Heenan left for the WWF which made Nick's face turn inevitable.

Hogan was only a heel briefly in the AWA. It's hard to count him because he wrestled so few matches as a heel. But Hogan as a face was the 80s version of Bruiser and Crusher. He cheated all the time and used brawling tactics. That's one reason Hogan and later the Road Warriors were cheered by AWA fans. It did take Verne longer to turn Hawk and Animal than it did Hogan but he finally saw the light.