Pro Wrestling Only

Voices of Wrestling WON HOF - Non Wrestlers w/Bix

W2BTD

WhatCulture, F4WOnline and Fighting Spirit Magainze contributor David Bixenspan joins Joe and Rich to discuss the Non-Wrestler region for the 2014 Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame! This is a category within a category with some very interesting names ranging from “Mean” Gene Okerlund to Jimmy Hart to the promoter and booker ranks with Jerry Jarrett, Jim Crockett Jr and Sr and even wrestling journalism with PWI’s Bill Apter. We discuss who should go in, who we’d vote for, voter trends, possible amendments to the ballot and much more!

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2014/09/24/non-wrestlers-david-bixenspan/

Re: that AWA pic, I think the guy in the hat is Otto Wanz maybe? Most assuredly not Wally Karbo.

Re: the George Scott story, I'm thinking the failure to plug the Clash may have been 8 days before not the same weekend. That Clash would have been on a Sunday and I distinctly remember they had a special Friday night? show that had a debate or contract signing or something the weekend of to try to salvage things just before the show. I remember Harley Race & others were on the show giving predictions. The reason I remember this is I'm pretty sure the show was live which was a rarity in those days & wondering how much expense they were going to in order to get everyone from Atlanta to New Orleans in like 36 hours.

Great show. That story about Monsoon's complaints about not hooking a leg at a time when wrestlers were only permitted to hook it on the pinfall is typical of his know-it-all approach on commentary. And his refusal to acknowledge he was wrong about Superstar Graham's death is hilariously pompous.

One thing that backfired on him though was his insistence on extra referees for tag matches. He bleated on and on about this for years, and the fact that nothing came of it made him sound very very unimportant indeed.....