Pro Wrestling Only

Spike gives TNA it's first Prime Time Special

Guest Dangerous A

Guest Dangerous A

Hot off the Observer website...

Spike gives TNA its first prime time special

by Dave Meltzer

[email protected]

Due to Spike TV preempting Impact on 11/5 for the live Ultimate Fighter special, the show had been moved to Thursday, 11/3 several weeks back. At first it was scheduled as a regular episode of Impact.

However, with ratings well above projections on Saturday nights, Spike has given TNA its first prime time special, a two-hour taped show from 9-11 p.m. on 11/3. No details are available but it will be more like a Clash of Champions special than a regular episode of Impact. The show will be taped on either 10/25 or 10/26, more likely the latter.

This could be a huge oppurtunity. Here's to hoping things aren't mucked up by then booking wise, eh?

If its a Clash of Champions event, I'd bet we'll see some pretty neat stuff and probably it'll get a good enough rating that we'll be seeing TNA regularly on Thursdays from now on.

Funny though how it takes over Smackdown as Thursday Night Wrestling.

Guest Dangerous A

Gotta wonder if this is also a test run to see if Spike should give TNA a 2 hour show as well as handle a weekday spot. Thursday would be primo. I don't see why TNA HAS to go head to head with WWE. Let WWE crash and burn. TNA needs to worry about TNA first.

The big reason why TNA wants to be head to head against WWE is the same reason why WCW wanted to be head to head against WWF. Its the mentality of opposing your rival head on and clearly seeing if you are ahead of the game or not. Because by being on seperate days you don't know if you have "stolen" fans or not. By being head to head you make sure you know because RAWs numbers drop or IMPACTs do.

Basically its an ego issue of all media driven outlets (news, tv shows, sports, etc). Taht and usually more money.

Whether TNA wants to compete with WWE or not, Vince is surely going to see this as a threat. I expect him to make moves toward anyone they employ not under an ironclad TNA contract.

I'd assume this is Spike testing the waters to see if TNA can hang in prime time. I'd also assume the WWE/Spike breakup wasn't as lovey-dovey as both sides want us to believe and Spike might want to give Vince a parting thumb in the eye by proving they don't need his company if they want to air wrestling.

I like the fact that TNA is getting a positive response but eventually they are going to have to move out of their comfort zone and start touring if they really want to build their fanbase. Right now, it's all fine and dandy but I think part of wrestling's appeal on TV is that eventually you would be able to see your favorites in action live. Right now, I know ROH is not coming to Texas but there is always that possibility they will expand. They have already covered a nice chunk of the NOrtheast and Central states. With WWE, I know they will come through once every 6 months or so. In the 80s, I had the opportunity to see any number of territories pass through San Antonio. With TNA, I know I have to go to the product, the product will not come to me. I can't see a huge chunk of fans getting behind the promotion like that. The Carters have already said they are not going to attempt house shows but they really need to consider taking their TV tapings on the road.

Also, with WWE having more compelling storylines backstage than in front of the camera, it's the perfect time for Spike and TNA to strike. Vince is looking like he can't get out of his own way these days, and if TNA can put together any semblance of a coherent show, I think it will make a lot of new fans.