Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-07-17-WCW-Bash at the Beach] Lord Steven Regal vs Johnny B. Badd

PeteF3

Badd's been pretty quiet lately. The last memorable thing of his that I can recall was the Maxx Payne feud, an angle that I always rather liked against my better judgment. He's a sub for Sting, who's out with a "scratched cornea" courtesy of Sensuous Chaplin on WCWSN. Badd is game, especially down the stretch, but this is really a Regal carry job all the way. His selling of the arm is tremendous and basically sets up every possible transition. Great moment towards the end as Regal bails after eating Badd's big punch, and while William is consoling him, Badd suddenly flies in from out of nowhere and takes both guys out. Then a callback to the Regal/Arn sunset flip finish with the umbrella. This time Nick Patrick catches it, but Regal finds another reversal to escape with the title. Calling this possibly the best PPV opener ever is a little crazy--Rey-Psicosis is right there even if you're just talking about WCW. But it is a truly standout performance by Regal.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-07-17-WCW-Bash at the Beach] Lord Steven Regal vs Johnny B. Badd
  • 1 year later...

This was fun match with a flat finish. Regal carries the bulk of the match by doing the small things that make Regal such a top tier worker. It's hard to put into words what he does so well, but if I was an aspiring wrestler, he would be the first guy I would study. He works the arm and stalls when he need to, which wakes the crowd up. Badd brings some aerial moves and a likeable personality to counter Regal's smug nobleman character. The sunset flip finish looked botched. but other than that, this was a good way to open the show. 

★★¾