Pro Wrestling Only

Squared Circle Gazette Radio #22 - The Monday Night War in 1995

After taking feedback from all over the place, the latest SCG Radio is up, as we talk about the creation and early months of the Monday Night War. Timelining the events of 1995 with added details from the Wrestling Observer Newsletters of the time, as well as taking feedback on viewing habits and the highs and lows, this show hits all the talking points of the time and a lot more. This one was a lot of fun to do, check it out and as always, let me know what you think!

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/feznb8/SCGRadio22-TheMondayNightWarin1995.mp3

• 5 weeks later...

Just getting caught up on these now.

Really good show.

I like episodes when you cover a period of time (helped by Observers) and get quite in-depth with it - loved the Invasion angle one also. Perhaps you could continue these with 4-6 month updates per episode? I'd like to hear more until the end of 98 at the very least.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you dug it - we were gauging the success of this one before we committed to it, but the idea was to do 6 month blocks covering the entire War eventually. The issue I suppose is that the MNW is such a common topic of conversation and has been covered a great deal, but I do think there is something to Observer coverage and the different perspectives.

We got a request for a TNA timeline from January 4th 2010 to Bound For Glory that year as well, which would likely end up as an evisceration. But if people enjoy this format, I expect we'll be doing the first half of 1996 in a few weeks.

Agreed. Really dig this format specifically & the whole series in general.

Far as TNA timelines go, I can see the reasoning for a look back at the 2010 stretch. It's abysmal stuff for the most part, with a few "misses" littered here & there - like the London Brawling tag team, the Pope character, "Black Machismo" Jay Lethal as a sort of Hurricane Helms-esque babyface, the awesome Lockdown cage match between Anderson & Angle, etc.

But most of that is overshadowed by the burial of the X Division, the terrible handling of the championship situation, the use of AJ Styles as Nature Boy Lite, and so on.

If you guys get around to it though, I'd MUCH rather see something like a spotlight on the TNA time frame of 2012 - that hot stretch where they actually appeared to be making stars out of Bobby Roode, James Storm, and Austin Aries. Hell, even Bully Ray felt genuinely rejuvenated and red hot. The X Division was thriving, Daniels was reaching his apex in arrogant slimeball heel mode, and just a lot of good stuff was going on for awhile there.

Just listened this...fantastic show...

Please tell me you are going to do 1996 / 1997 just like this...I would LOVE to hear the Observer info as well as your thoughts on the War / Buyrates / etc.. as time went on..

I didnt realize how bad late 1995 had gotten for both companies in terms of buyrates...I always thought by Fall things for at least WCW had started to grow...

It is a huge feather in their cap taking the chance they did on Monday night with so many telling them it was a death curse and not only doing OK, but actually winning so far.

Finally, another amazing stat to know Vince and the WWF had actually considered moving RAW to another night due to WCW..

A question I'd like to know the answer to is, although WCW turned a profit for the first time in 95 (small or not, a profit), how much more were they spending than WWF to get there? Just curious HOW important Turner's money was to their growth or if their budget stayed where it was when things started in Sept as you mentioned...

Again, this is your best show to date...keep these coming!

• 2 weeks later...