Pro Wrestling Only

NJPW New Beginning in Sendai

shoe

Okay first half. Opener wasn't anything. The second match was fine but White and Tiger Mask didn't look too sharp. Junior six-man was fun and Dorada continues to look good in New Japan. He's over and that's also nice to see. Liger match was the typical solid current day Liger match but any number of US indie guys could have done the same or significantly better than Owens in this role. Lots of junior titles floating around in New Japan now. Wonder if they will do anything with that?

NWA title match was poor 75% of the way but the crowd rallying behind Tenzan late saved it. Guess the NWA is sticking around after all.

Okay first half. Opener wasn't anything. The second match was fine but White and Tiger Mask didn't look too sharp. Junior six-man was fun and Dorada continues to look good in New Japan. He's over and that's also nice to see. Liger match was the typical solid current day Liger match but any number of US indie guys could have done the same or significantly better than Owens in this role. Lots of junior titles floating around in New Japan now. Wonder if they will do anything with that?

NWA title match was poor 75% of the way but the crowd rallying behind Tenzan late saved it. Guess the NWA is sticking around after all.

I thought White looked good. TM I thought had some timing issues.

oh my god Honma. I thought the first 10 minutes or so of that was actually pretty whatever and was ready to say this was nowhere near the level of their previous two, but by god did they turn it up by the end. Always hard to know where to fall on matches like that (Doering vs. Shiozaki was a similar deal), but when it comes down to it I haven't felt anywhere close to as emotionally involved in any match this year as I did in that one and that has to count for a lot. I was literally shaking by the end thinking Honma was actually going to win. :P

oh my god Honma. I thought the first 10 minutes or so of that was actually pretty whatever and was ready to say this was nowhere near the level of their previous two, but by god did they turn it up by the end. Always hard to know where to fall on matches like that (Doering vs. Shiozaki was a similar deal), but when it comes down to it I haven't felt anywhere close to as emotionally involved in any match this year as I did in that one and that has to count for a lot. I was literally shaking by the end thinking Honma was actually going to win. :P

The drama was incredible. Going in I thought no way Honma was going to win. Through the work I thought Honma was going to win. To me that means a lot.

Main event couldn't follow Ishii/Honma at all, neither for me nor the Sendai crowd, it seemed. In fairness I was still on such a high from the previous match that I was having a hard time paying attention, but even were I to rewatch it I don't think it would be any better than a ***1/4 - 1/2 deal