Pro Wrestling Only

[1997-04-06-WCW-Spring Stampede] Rey Misterio Jr vs Ultimo Dragon

Superstar Sleeze

Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Ultimo Dragon - WCW Spring Stampede 1997

Ultimo Dragon is one of the more infuriating wrestlers of all time. There is no reason why he could not be at the level of a Jushin Liger or a Rey Mysterio, but he constantly gets in his own way with offense-first approach to wrestling. This match is laid out like the World War III match (I need to rewatch) with Dragon kicking ass for the majority of the match. Again, Dragon's explosive offense looks tremendous: Spinning Argentine Backbreaker, Powerbomb into a hotshot, awesome Running LigerBomb and a wicked Tombstone. There is no strategy. It is just an exhibition. Case in point, he lifts Rey up after having him beat just to put him in a sleeper. This had the announcers and me scratching our heads. Dragon's string of incredible offense keeps going, but it is not going to go anywhere. The finish run piques my interest because now Rey is ready to go spot for spot for Dragon so we get awesome somersault planchas and hurricanranas and Stagger Lee Marsahll? Oh, WCW. Dragon hitting a dropkick to a turned Rey while on the ropes was a great counter move, a gnarly bump and loved the plancha it set up. Now that it getting more competitive, I am decently grooving to this. Dragon dropkicks Rey in mid-air and really puts all he has into a Giant Swing He was really whipping him around. Dragon looking for his bread and butter, the Tiger Suplex (guess Benoit had dibs on the Dragon Suplex), but Rey makes the ropes. Rey nabs a flash hurricanrana out of nowhere for the win. Once they get past the Ultimo Dragon masturbation session (hey it was nice eye candy I will give them that), I thought they worked a pretty hot finish stretch with Dragon throwing out some nice counters and Rey constantly looking for that quick pinfall. Rey takes their PPV series 2-1 and in a very good match. ***1/4

• GSR changed the title to [1997-04-06-WCW-Spring Stampede] Rey Misterio Jr vs Ultimo Dragon
  • 1 year later...

Watched this randomly going toward a rewatch of DDP vs Savage and thought it was great. Really enjoyed Ultimo taking advantage of the throat work but still keeping things on the up and up for the most part. Still it was enthralling seeing Rey come back and win and his timing was impeccable. ****