Pro Wrestling Only

KOTI Night 2

shoe

Thornstorne vs Willie Mack

This has been one heck of a match.Much different than everything on the show. They have done such a tremendous job and the crowd is 100% with them. These guys left everything in the ring. 4*

Overall a good show with some quality wrestlers, and quality wrestling. A much more consistent show than Mercury Rising. I haven't seen Evolve 40 yet, and I saw up to the last 2 matches of KOTI night 1 which was a bad show up to that point. I'll see ROH on Tuesday, but this show has a chance to be the best show this weekend on the WWN.

Strange show in that I loved it despite booking I didn't like, even though a part of me thinks the booking was the right thing (weird I know). I thought every single match was at least passable, and really I'd call all of them good other than maybe the Grappler/Cooter match and that wasn't offensive or anything. I think my match of the night might have been Mack v. Horus on first watch because I was really impressed by how cleanly everything hit without looking super choreographed or feeling rushed. That said the final was really great, and the Thatcher v. Thornstowe and Cobb v. Mack matches were really good in there own right. Luster v. Thornstowe, Tatcher v. Massaro, and Cobb v. Cage were all solid too, and I actually really enjoyed the four-way tag match as the ultimate example of local indie guys being local indie guys in the best way possible (I swear there is a match Empire ran in Chattanooga last year that was a four way tag title match which was damn near identical in terms of style of teams and layout).

Several of us had worked ourselves into thinking we might get a Thatcher v. Cobb rematch, but I actually felt like it was increasingly less likely over the course of the night leading into the show, and I had a real fear that Thatcher was going to lose to Thornstowe after concrete plugged the thought into my head. Honestly I can forgive that decision. He's a local guy who APW is promoting and it makes sense to give him a big win. What bothered me more was that they had Cobb lose. Cobb to me is the guy who should have been "made" by this tourney. Also, even though I think Mack was the best worker in the tourney over all, a part of me was disappointed we didn't get Cobb v. Horus as a sort of modern day Angle v. Rey match.

In the end I don't know that Mack v. Thornstowe was the right final, but I can't say it was the wrong one either. The match delivered and that is saying something because there were some audible gasps when both Thatcher and Cobb lost (Though Willie was really over throughout the night). I'd like to see WWNLive do regional talent tournies every year around Mania, even though I know it's not likely to happen.